Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun, and supporting each other's successes. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
As Intellectual Property Counsel at Splunk, you will help the company continue to build a world-class patent portfolio protecting Splunk’s trailblazing innovations emerging from our market-leading and ever-expanding range of products and solutions for gaining and acting on operational intelligence from machine generated big data for applications such as IT infrastructure performance, cybersecurity, business analytics, and IoT.
- You will collaborate with the internal product development, product management, and product marketing teams to identify and prioritize patentable inventions;
- You will supervise outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of high-quality patent assets, providing technical, legal, and strategic input to ensure overall work quality;
- You will assist in implementing processes to scale the IP program
- You will develop and advance the company's IP strategy
While the focus of this role is on patent-portfolio development, you may also participate on an as-needed basis in counseling on other aspects of IP (including trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets), acquisition due diligence, evaluation of third party patent assertions, patent enforcement, patent litigation, and patent licensing.
This position will report to the VP, Intellectual Property. It will be based at Splunk's headquarters in San Francisco, CA.
- At least 6 years of experience building robust patent portfolios to protect innovation, including preparing and prosecuting high quality software patents
- J.D. degree.
- Admission to a State Bar
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Deep experience with patent protection for computer software
- Specific experience with search technology, GUIs, cloud architectures, cybersecurity, IT infrastructure monitoring, IoT, and business analytics are pluses
- Strong communication skills
- Proven ability to write well
- Team focused and collaborative
- Attorneys looking to transition from a law firm position to an in-house role are highly encouraged
- Patent litigation experience a plus but not required.
- Be ready to live the mantra, “work hard, have fun, make history!”
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which you are applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.