Technical Writer Intern (Summer 2023 - Remote US)
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Is writing about technology your passion? Do you want to work with one of the most forward-thinking documentation teams in the software industry? Spend the summer at Splunk!
Splunk is looking for highly motivated college students to join our team. As an intern, you will work on a real project (or a few) and have an opportunity to enjoy our dynamic, startup-like environment.
You will experience Splunking and what defines our culture while honing the skills which separate our development teams from others. Working to support internal and external customer needs, you will collaborate with multi-functional teams, receive mentorship, and gain insight into our values-driven process. Our goal is both to support your growth and development while empowering you for a successful start to your career.
This is a remote position within the United States.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
As a Technical Writer Intern you will be responsible for…
Collaborating closely with other writers, editors, software developers, UX designers, product managers, and support engineers to update existing topics and author new content based on customer feedback and internal requirements. You will gain hands-on experience writing, editing, and perhaps illustrating content for docs.splunk.com and/or dev.splunk.com. Our company features an environment where flexibility, teamwork, and delivering credible, customer focused solutions is paramount. We work in an Agile software development group and continuously update our documentation in GitHub, GitLab, and MediaWiki. As an intern on the Splunk doc team, you will meet some of the most inspiring and experienced writers in the industry, see what the future of data is all about, and make a tangible difference to the Splunk customer community.
- You will dive into the information development cycle to draft, revise, and validate a variety of enterprise software documentation topics
- You will use your fresh perspective as a new Splunk software user to offer suggestions for improving Splunk documentation
- You will work with expert writers, editors, and doc team managers to learn what technical writing looks like in the real world: part software development, part user experience design, part investigative journalism
- A compulsive attention to detail and concern for both software and information quality
- A passion for learning new technologies, solving problems, and applying that knowledge to written assignments
- Experience following a style guide
- The ability to prioritize, multi-task, work to a deadline, and communicate project status
- Basic graphic design and image manipulation skills
- Strong self-motivation and initiative
- The ability to collaborate with a wide variety of team members
- Working well with others in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems
- The Splunk internship program runs for a minimum of 10 weeks, up to a maximum of 12 consecutive weeks with start dates between May and June 2023. Applicants should be available to participate full-time (40 hours/week) in an internship during this time
- Actively pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s in Technical Writing, Communications, Journalism, Computer Science or a related technical field, and a strong record of academic achievement
- Must be entering the final year of a Bachelor's or Master's program in Fall 2023, with a December 2023 or Spring 2024 graduation date
What We Offer You
The opportunity to work with a set of extraordinarily talented and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support. Splunk flourishes with disruption and diversity.
A constant stream of new things for you to learn and an opportunity for growth and mentorship. We believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Note: Splunk provides flexibility and choice in the working arrangement for most roles, including remote and/or in-office roles. We have a market-based pay structure which varies by location. The base pay for this position is dependent on work location as set out below, as well as the knowledge, skills and experience of the candidate. In addition to base pay, this role is eligible for benefits.
Base Pay Range
SF Bay Area, Seattle Metro and New York City Metro Area
Base Pay: $31.00 per hour
California (excludes SF Bay Area), Washington (excludes Seattle Metro), Washington DC Metro, and Massachusetts
Base Pay: $29.0 per hour
All other cities and states excluding California, Washington, Massachusetts, New York City Metro Area and Washington DC Metro Area.
Base Pay: $27.00 per hour
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
To conform to U.S. export control regulations, applicants must be eligible for required authorizations from the U.S. Government.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Preventative measures may require individuals entering Splunk offices to be fully vaccinated and in some cases may require employees to show proof of full vaccination. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.