Sr. Manager, Detection Engineering (US Remote Available)
The Senior Manager, Detection Operations reports to the Director of Detection and Monitoring Operations. The role is based in San Francisco, San Jose, McLean, VA, or Remote. In this role, you will be responsible for leading a team of high-performing detection engineers poised to build content for the proactive defense of Splunk. You will have a deep understanding of Information Security principles coupled with the expertise in developing and prioritizing detection content. We are a hardworking team who has fun, enjoys a good laugh but above all else thinks security first.
- Lead day-to-day operations of the Splunk Detection Operations team to drive prioritization of content creation, develop robust processes to track intake and consistency, and mature the team to build detections beyond Splunk
- Engage with other teams to ensure detections are working as intended
- Identify and incorporate new data sources and their applicability to the detection of sophisticated adversaries
- Lead efforts to ensure data sources are aligned with Splunk’s Common Information Model (CIM)
- Develop intimate familiarity with the service offering to drive service improvement initiatives across the team
- Partner with other security organizations to lead standards development across several multi-functional service areas
- Continue to champion the remediation of visibility and capability gaps and break down roadblocks standing in the way of a robust security posture
- Understand & manage development backlog to ensure a steady stream of activities
- Provide mentorship for willing and able candidates looking to dive into security content development
- Capture development metrics in direct support to executive-level briefings (daily, weekly, monthly)
- Ensure that all documents, workflows, and processes remain accurate and up-to-date
- At least 3 years managing a detection engineering, incident response, security engineering, or similar team
- Advanced Splunk Enterprise Security experience
- Ability to build and interpret Splunk Processing Language (SPL) fluidly
- Detailed understanding of the MITRE ATT&CK Framework and/or the Cyber Kill Chain
- Advanced understanding of attacks impacting a cloud native environment
- You can lead people to think critically by guiding them without doing the work for them
- You possess a demonstrated ability to speak with people with varying knowledge of IT Security concepts
- Capability to look at a process to find opportunities for cycle-time reduction
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and take-charge
- Ability and desire to think outside of the box for creative solutions to problems with the moxie to follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to see things through the customer’s eyes
- Tremendous attention to detail
- Eligible to work in the United States without company sponsorship
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity at Splunk. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. Splunk is impacted by the mandates outlined for U.S. Government contractors in President Biden’s Path out of the Pandemic: COVID-19 Action Plan. As a result, Splunk requires U.S. employees, whether assigned to an office of 100% remote, to provide proof of full vaccination, as defined by the CDC. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected] Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.