Software Developer Engineer in Test Intern (Summer 2020)
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Splunk is looking for highly motivated college students to join our team. As an intern, you will work on a real project (or a few) and have an opportunity to enjoy our dynamic, startup-like environment.
You will experience Splunking and what defines our culture while honing the skills which separate our development teams from others. Working to support internal and external customer needs, you will collaborate with multi-functional teams, receive mentorship, and gain insight into our values-driven process. Our goal is both to support your growth and development while empowering you for a successful start to your career.
As a Software Developer Engineer in Test Intern you will be responsible for …
Writing code to add/modify test tooling, testing frameworks, and writing automated test cases using the latest technologies. You will be working on actual live projects and you will be able to observe how creating effective testing tools, test frameworks, and processes can help increase engineering productivity in a large engineering team. We are looking for smart, creative, and hardworking individuals who know how to write effective code, communicate well and learn from other engineers, and have a passion for quality engineering.
Splunk’s Quality Engineering and Tooling team is a heavy Python shop. We use technologies like Python, Pytest, TOX, Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, and anything else that you think will be useful. Your job will be to work on understanding some of our existing projects and then work on a variety of features and bug fixes to improve these technologies and engineering frameworks.
- Work with engineering mentor to understand the current code base, setup your development/debugging environments, and get ready to solve problems
- Reproduce defects in your local environment, integration environments, and write code to fix the bug and release new versions of the tools to the larger engineering organization
- Establish effective communication and relationships with engineers who use our testing tools and frameworks, and figure out their pain points, feature requests, etc.
- Take on larger feature development work by pairing up with other interns, your engineering mentor, or anyone who wants to solve this problem. Create a well thought of software implementation design and convince your peers why your proposal makes sense.
- Implement features in an iterative way and eventually release the full solutions to the larger engineering organization
- Have a good time learning how to build and ship software and understanding the deep importance of human relationships in a healthy and collaborative work environment
- Strong interest in software quality engineering
- Must know how to unit test your code using appropriate tools and framework
- Strong programming skills in any modern OO languages (JAVA, Python, GO, etc.)
- Python background highly desired
- You enjoy working well with others in a fast-paced environment
- You enjoy working within an agile environment
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- You bring enthusiasm for solving interesting problems
Actively pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related technical field, and strong record of academic achievement.
What We Offer You:
- The opportunity to work with a set of extraordinarily talented and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support. Splunk flourishes with disruption and diversity.
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn and an opportunity for growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.