Staff Technical Writer - Splunk Observability Cloud - REMOTE
Staff Technical Writer - Splunk Observability Cloud - REMOTE
Bring your talent and experience to the Splunk doc team! Join a supportive and collaborative team of writers and editors dedicated to building high-quality content for customers who use Splunk software. We wrote The Product is Docs, we created the Splunk Style Guide, and we meet regularly as a group to improve our skills and share our knowledge with each other. We engage with our peers throughout the profession to challenge assumptions and provoke discussions about the best ways to develop information, connect with customers, and address challenges in the industry.
Technical writers on our team play a vital role in getting our customers up and running quickly. In this role, you'll help software developers, site reliability engineers, and technical operations teams get insights into their applications and infrastructure in real time with the help of the monitoring, analytics, and response tools of Splunk Observability Cloud.
To succeed in this role, you must be a confident writer of enterprise software documentation who is passionate about learning new concepts, testing end-to-end procedures yourself, and clearly explaining sophisticated technologies. This position offers continuous learning and frequent direct interaction with enthusiastic customers who rely on Splunk documentation every day to accomplish their goals.
This is a remote position based in the United States. You can also be based in a Splunk office in San Francisco, San Jose, Boulder, or Raleigh if you prefer not to work remotely.
Please submit a cover letter with your application.
- Using a docs-as-code workflow, craft, maintain, and own the in-product user assistance and accompanying web documentation for your product area.
- Test and validate documentation accuracy and usability, both on your own and in collaboration with colleagues in product management, design, engineering, support, and the technical field.
- Act as a subject matter expert for your product area by responding to customer feedback and helping colleagues with questions.
- Write, test, and maintain API reference documentation for your product area, in close collaboration with engineering teams.
- Integrate into the scrum workflow of multiple engineering teams, attending scrum ceremonies and advocating for documentation needs.
- Regularly use and test Splunk Observability Cloud products and features, reporting bugs and usability issues to improve the customer experience.
- Influence feature development in partnership with colleagues in design, product management, and engineering.
- Consistently present and demo your work and be receptive to teammates’ feedback.
- Review and give feedback on documentation written by others.
- A minimum of 3 years in a technical writing role.
- Experience designing and delivering clear, accurate documentation targeted at developers, DevOps, or infrastructure and operations teams.
- Ability to build subject matter expertise through hands-on use of products and tools designed for developer audiences.
- Experience using Git as a version management tool, including working with branches, creating pull requests, and resolving merge conflicts.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field, or relevant professional experience.
- Experience working in an Agile environment with team members working in multiple time zones.
- Experience using and documenting application management or monitoring products.
- Experience creating documentation designed around customer use cases rather than product features.
- Experience writing effective in-product user assistance.
- Experience writing API documentation.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which you are applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most meaningfully to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $75,000.00. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Preventative measures may require individuals entering Splunk offices to be fully vaccinated and in some cases may require employees to show proof of full vaccination. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected]. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.