Principal DevOps Engineer - Engineering Services
Splunk is seeking a talented Principal DevOps engineer who is passionate about providing world class customer service with a sharp focus on deploying and managing, reliable, robust, high quality engineering platforms and their associated infrastructure and services. This technical lead position will help specify, develop and deploy state of the art processes and services in support of internal clients and other key stakeholders throughout engineering. The successful candidate has extensive experience working as part of a team on large scale software development within complex multi-platform environments. He/she demonstrates exceptional problem solving, communication and collaboration skills that span across project and functional teams. Collaboration, creativity, friendliness and patience are important traits required to succeed in this role.
- Use technical analysis to assess the scalability and reliability of the engineering infrastructure.
- Provide technical leadership, coaching and mentoring for the existing DevOps/SRE staff.
- Help lead the transformation to modern DevOps at Splunk by leveraging the latest cutting-edge technologies.
- Provide timely, world class customer service for requests from all stakeholders and customers including; software development, QA, sustaining and project management. Typical requests would cover; CI/CD systems, SCM, branching, build systems and testing across multiple platform environments.
- Engage with software development, QA and project management teams to prepare for customization or enhancements required to support new engineering methodologies.
- Provide recommendations to monitor and improve our engineering infrastructure.
- Drive improvements of tools used for continuous integration, automated testing and diagnostics, and release management.
- Identify issues, collaborate with stakeholders on solutions and provide follow-up on the implementation.
- Analyze and adapt release configurations and processes to support changing needs and environments.
- BS/MS degree in CS or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 12 years of progressive work experience in the Release Engineering, DevOps, SRE functions doing large scale software development.
- Extensive working experience with modern container technologies; Docker, Kubernetes.
- Experience with version control and build management tools, e.g. Perforce, Git.
- Experience with troubleshooting C/C++ builds.
- Experience in Linux, Windows.
- Working experience with several modern scripting languages such as; Python, BASH, Go.
- Experience with the Atlassian tool set: JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo, Bitbucket.
- In-depth experience with modern CI/CD pipelines and the common components and services typically used with these pipelines:
- Bitbucket, Gitlab, Github
- Jenkins, Gitlab, Bamboo
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Automation platform
- Testing tools: SonarQube
- Secrets storage: Vault
- Artifact Storage: Artifactory
- Excellent follow up and communication skills. Ability to keep things conversational and organized while getting things done.
- Experience with design & administration of highly available engineering environments.
- Experience with cloud native software development is highly desirable for this role.
- Extensive exposure to Release Engineering / DevOps / SRE practices, including automation, configuration management, and release management
- Experience with multiple OS environments - Linux, Windows, Mac OSX, various UNIX flavors.
- Experience with mobile environments - iOS, Android.
- Experience with multiple build tools - GCC, Visual Studio, Xcode, Make.
- Adept at working with teams of highly talented individuals.
- Experience with virtualization technology, e.g. VMWare.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.