Technical Lead (NodeJS/REST/React/Redux)
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Are you passionate about building scalable web applications in a microservice paradigm? Do you have a strong desire to build excellent experiences for customers? Ready to shake things up? Splunk continues to be on a tear while enjoying incredible growth year over year. With growth comes scaling opportunities and the need to take the friction out of our processes, platforms, and systems to drive scale, efficiency, and effectiveness.
As a lead engineer, you would be driving the technical delivery for the web application team, within the IT Business Applications group. You will need to use your technical expertise and broad experience delivering features using Agile methodologies, specifically Scrum, to lead the team for this position. We use NodeJS (REST APIs) with React, Redux based UI, Amazon EC2 / ECS, NGINX, Docker, Jenkins, MySQL / Postgres, and Redis.
What we offer to you in this role:
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- Exponential growth as we are relatively a newer team and still at an early stage.
- Opportunity to build scalable applications from the scratch.
- Second to none work-life balance - We don't expect people to work 10 hours a day. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too.
- Support in your professional career goals by providing mentorship and allocating dedicated time & budget for it.
- A set of motivated and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
What you will do to be successful at this role:
- Deliver high quality, scalable, well-written code that is quickly understood, easily supported and maintained by the team using standard methodologies.
- Help in our ongoing open sourcing initiative to publish code to the community outside of Splunk.
- Own and lead the team of developers comprising onsite and offsite members to ensure the development standards are being met and project work is progressing to meet project timelines.
- Develop microservices (in a distributed environment) exposing REST APIs, those are written in Node.js and also help building React/Redux based web client to consume them.
- Collaborate with internal product managers, architects, engineering managers, UX/UI designers, and business partners.
- Communicate and collaborate with team members clearly and precisely, verbally and written within the Scrum framework to meet sprint planning objectives.
- Mentor team members and peers to increase their skills or knowledge, and ultimately their effectiveness on the team.
- Work within the Agile delivery framework.
- Independently perform interviews to provide hiring recommendations based on technical competency and team effectiveness.
- Self-starter with the ability to take ownership and hold yourself accountable.
What you will need:
- 8+ years of experience in developing scalable and event-driven (syn/async) web applications in a highly distributed environment.
- 3+ years of functional experience in crafting and building full-stack applications in NodeJS (REST APIs) with React, Redux based UI.
- Good knowledge of computer science fundamentals e.g. data structures, algorithms, and design patterns.
- Excellent knowledge and working experience with pub/sub messaging systems.
- TDD or BDD experience for Unit testing.
- Expert knowledge of databases, networking, security, privacy, and compliance for Web-based applications.
- Experience using Git, JIRA, Docker, and Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies
- Excellent verbal and written user documentation skills.
- BS or MS in Computer Science/Information Systems/Business or equivalent experience required
This isn’t a job – it’s a life changer – are you ready?
Splunk has been named one of San Francisco Bay Area's "Best Places to Work" by The San Francisco Business Times, ten years in a row. We offer a highly competitive compensation package and a plethora of benefits.
Splunk is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.