Senior Detection Engineer, Detection & Monitoring Operations (D&MO) (Remote US Available)
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
The Splunk Detection and Monitoring Operations (D&MO) Senior Detection Engineer reports to the Director of Detection and Monitoring Operations. The role is based in San Francisco, San Jose or McLean, VA. In this role, you will be responsible for developing security content supporting the 24x7 monitoring operations, and response to cybersecurity threats. You will have a deep understanding of Information Security principles and disciplines coupled with expert level knowledge of Splunk Processing Language (SPL), excellent development skills, and a continuous desire to learn and grow. We are a passionate team who has fun, enjoys a good laugh but above all else thinks security first.
- You will use your deep Splunk expertise building correlation searches from scratch to detect cybersecurity threats
- Draw from your industry expertise in understanding how an attacker would behave and translate it to custom security detection content
- Engage with other teams to ensure detections are working as intended
- Identify and prioritize new data sources and their applicability to the detection of advanced adversaries
- Lead efforts to ensure data sources are compliant with Splunk’s Common Information Model (CIM)
- Modify logic of existing detections to reduce false-positive rates, and align them more consistent with their intent
- Drive complex initiatives with key business partners to continuously improve visibility
- Ensure that security-relevant data is flowing to appropriate Splunk Data Models
- Map security content to MITRE ATT&CK Framework
- Understand & manage development backlog to ensure a steady stream of activities
- Conduct sprint reviews and celebration of successes for all items in the workstream.
- Collaborate across teams for training, development opportunities, and service improvement
- Provide mentorship for willing and able candidates looking to dive into security content development
- Capture development metrics in direct-support to executive-level briefings (daily, weekly, monthly)
- Ensure that all documents, workflows and processes remain accurate and up-to-date
- You have 8 years of experience as a SOC Analyst, Security Content Developer and/or Security Engineer
- Advanced Splunk Enterprise Security experience
- Deep understanding of Splunk Data Models
- Ability to build and interpret Splunk Processing Language (SPL) fluidly
- Ability to understand systems quickly, and translate understanding into logic to detect anomalies with the system
- You can lead people to think critically by guiding them without doing the work for them
- You have a passion for learning and a desire to enable the growth of others
- You possess a demonstrated ability to speak with people with varying knowledge in IT Security concepts and have the tailor your message to the audience
- You have a deep understanding of Incident Response framework, root cause analysis
- Capability to look at a process to identify opportunities for cycle-time reduction
- Advanced working knowledge of Cloud technologies
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and take-charge
- Ability and desire to think outside of the box for creative solutions to problems with the moxie to follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to see things through the customer’s eyes
- Tremendous attention to detail
- Eligible to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information security or related discipline is required or equivalent practical work experience
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.