Principal Software Engineer Search & Indexing (DevOps) (PST Remote OK)
Join us as we pursue our exciting new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
We are seeking a passionate engineer to join our group, Data Platform. Our team designs distributed systems to collect and analyze high volumes of machine-generated data at scale. Our engineers own the features including rolling them out to the cloud fleet following a true devops cycle. We are proud of owning what we build even after it's deployed to production. We ensure code hygiene, use open source libraries, employ continuous integration and delivery, and have a strong belief in automated testing at multiple levels (unit, integration, system). We are uniquely positioned as a globally distributed team with team members in a variety of locations.
- Extensive experience in developing and solving problems with multi-threaded server applications written in C/C++ or Go-lang on Linux
- Familiarity with cloud operations and automations including experience with puppet and terraform
- You enjoy building and running distributed systems at scale in production. You understand the challenges and trade-offs to be made when building and deploying systems to production.Prior experience with Cloud services, like EC2, S3, RDS, SQS is a plus.
- Highly skilled in identifying performance bottlenecks, identifying anomalous system behavior, and resolving root cause of service issues.
- Strong debugging and solving skills including the use of associated tools
- Experience working on highly scalable systems involving network communications and associated protocols e.g. REST, TCP/IP, HTTP
- You have a strong foundation in backend systems, storage, filesystem, memory, multi threading is a plus.
- Mentored junior engineers in their development skills via code reviews and design discussions.
- You have 12+ years of professional software engineering and architecture experience.
- You have a BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related engineering discipline.
- Develop, maintain and rollout server-side applications for data collection, indexing, clustering and other distributed systems to Splunk Cloud.
- Analyze, identify and resolve the bottlenecks of distributed systems, data pipeline, multi-threaded coherency and other complicated scenarios.
- Engage in design and code reviews of the product, and improve your knowledge of customers’ experiences to prevent future problems
- Offer thought leadership on how to make code maintainable and the product diagnosable and serviceable
- Participate in rotating on-call duties to diagnose and tackle customer issues.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $135,000.00. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
To conform to U.S. export control regulations, applicants must be eligible for required authorizations from the U.S. Government.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Preventative measures may require individuals entering Splunk offices to be fully vaccinated and in some cases may require employees to show proof of full vaccination. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.