Senior Splunk Engineer
A diverse and inclusive Splunk helps us achieve our mission of making data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone, and drives great outcomes for our company, our communities and each other. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun, and most meaningfully to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey.
The Splunk at Splunk team leverages all elements of Splunk’s portfolio to create IT and Security solutions for Splunk organizations. We use a combination of Splunk Cloud, Enterprise Security, ITSI, Phantom, VictorOps, and SignalFX as key ingredients in our solutions.
There are many integrations required that include on-prem and SaaS services, some of which require innovative solutions. Much of what we create for Splunk is also shared with customers via Github, SplunkBase, conferences, and EBC meetings. On any given day, our software needs to handle thousands of users, petabytes of data, and unique usage patterns across different deployment topologies
As a Splunk Engineer, you will be responsible for all aspects of Splunk solutions for IT and Security use cases. The innovations built by our team will be widely shared and you should be eager to drive these efforts and share your knowledge with the Splunk community.
What you'll do: Yeah, I want to and can do that.
- Design, develop, and showcase new Splunk apps that monitor the health and performance of both internal and external Splunk IT services.
- Collaborate with the team to drive innovative solutions for corporate data collection to Splunk Enterprise. You will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects such as serverless data collection and a self-service data ingestion platform.
- Solve complex Splunk administration problems using your knowledge of automation, scripting, DevOps tools, REST APIs, and Splunk's product portfolio.
- Develop, test, and deploy a variety of Splunk configurations and Splunk technology add-ons.
- Implement automated testing, continuous integration, and continuous deployment to streamline how we operate Splunk as a service internally for IT operations and security use cases.
Requirements: I’ve already done that or have that.
- 8+ years working with distributed systems in IT (with some experience in service operations preferred)
- 4+ years performing Splunk administration, architecture, and development experience (ES, ITSI, apps, custom search commands, modular inputs, etc.)
- 4+ years of software engineering experience (Python preferred)
- 4+ years of DevOps tools experience (Ansible, GitLab, Jenkins, Terraform, Docker, etc.)
- Strong foundational knowledge of IT Security (encryption, firewalls, secure systems design, vulnerability management, etc.)
- Deep understanding of IT fundamentals to include Windows and Linux operating systems, networking, security, cloud, MySQL and postgres databases and IT service operations
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; able to explain complex technical topics to both internal and external customers with ease
- A solid technical understanding of Splunk products
Preferred knowledge and experience: These are a huge plus.
- Experience with Docker and AWS is highly preferred
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines
- Experience administering Linux and scripting
- Experience administering AWS
Education: Got it.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or equivalent years of industry experience.
What We Offer You: Wow, I want that.
- An opportunity to innovate cutting-edge solutions using Splunk software for Splunk itself. Plus, the ability to share those innovations with our customers! How cool is that?
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of extraordinarily hardworking, innovative, open, fun and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment.
We don't expect people to work 12-hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and dedication and believe that balance helps cultivate an extraordinary environment
This isn’t a job – it’s a life changer – are you ready?
Splunk has been named one of San Francisco Bay Area’s “Best Places to Work” by the San Francisco Business Times, ten years in a row. We offer a highly competitive compensation package and a plethora of benefits.
Splunk is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.