Senior Legal Counsel
We are looking for a motivated transactional lawyer to join Splunk’s growing legal team and make an immediate contribution to our rapid growth and success in APAC. We need an experienced lawyer with knowledge of relevant Japanese laws, deep transactional expertise and excellent business judgment, who is an expert in technology agreements and data privacy.
Your responsibilities will focus primarily on our sales and operations in Japan and other APC countries as needed. You will be responsible for the company’s commercial legal requirements, including software licensing and sales channel, as well as a variety of commercial transactions to support Splunk’s international growth. You will support sales, customer success, and partner teams with focus on drafting and negotiating Cloud, software and other technology sales agreements, contribute to process improvements, initiatives and playbooks to help scale for growth and reduce contract lifecycle, and partner with legal team members and other business functions to drive business objectives.
This role will report to the Director, APAC Commercial (Legal) based in Singapore.
To succeed, you will need to be confident, diligent and dedicated; demonstrate ability to develop collaborative working relationships with sales colleagues and various business units. You possess excellent business intuition and critical thinking and can perform independently as well as cross-functionally and flexibly in a dynamic team environment. You have the know-how to prioritize and drive multiple initiatives to conclusion independently and with speed. We need someone that is strategic, detail oriented, and capable of influencing others. You can work successfully in an entrepreneurial, fast moving environment across different functional groups, time zones and cultures. You are flexible, creative and energetic; you show initiative, perseverance, and resourcefulness; have a proven track record and knowledge base. We need a lawyer that possesses strong persuasion and communication skills, who is self-motivated, self-reliant, and has a good sense of humor. Be ready to adapt at all times in a dynamic and exciting environment.
- Act as the legal contact for Splunk’s activities in Japan and support other APAC countries as needed;
- Build strong internal and external relationships while balancing the needs in Splunk’s Japan market with Splunk’s global strategy and priorities;
- Provide deep knowledge of relevant aspects of Japanese laws, concerning commercial terms including but not limited to data privacy/governance, cybersecurity and government contracts;
- Review, draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts for revenue transactions, including outbound software license and professional services agreements, and cloud agreements;
- Support other complex commercial transactions, including key strategic relationships;
- Anticipate changes to, and advise on, the laws impacting Splunk’s commercial activities and its customers;
- Contribute, and recommend improvements, to our form agreements, playbooks, contract templates, and legal processes;
- Effectively advise, educate and train on and assist in the enforcement of Splunk’s policies and compliance programs;
- Support and implement strategic initiatives and projects that advance our business objectives; and
- Perform other legal responsibilities as requested.
- At least 8 years’ experience with a leading software or technology company;
- Deep transaction experience with complex contracts and licensing agreements, working with two-tier partner sales transactions in fast paced technology driven companies;
- Extensive experience in compliance, data security, privacy, and intellectual property matters, and strong knowledge of local data protection laws;
- Excellent contract negotiation, presentation and drafting skills;
- Superior business judgment and the ability to address complex opportunities and issues in creative and effective ways;
- Specific experience in a SaaS, cloud computing, and enterprise software;
- Detail-orientation and ability to handle multiple transactions and projects simultaneously under deadline pressure;
- Ability to deliver in a demanding and entrepreneurial environment in a timely manner;
- Written and spoken fluency in Japanese and English; and
- Excellent judgment and sense of humor.
You will have top academic credentials and be a qualified Japanese lawyer, with current bar admission or equivalent.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to email@example.com. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.