Corporate Controller (Bay Area Remote)
Join us as we pursue our exciting new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
We are looking for an innovative and passionate Corporate Controller who will play a critical role for our organization. Reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer (CAO), the Corporate Controller is a senior member of Splunk’s finance team. In this role, you will lead a team of approximately 3-4 professionals that promotes and leads a positive, high-performing, innovative and growth-oriented environment that consistently delivers reliable and ‘flawless on the fundamentals’ results; establish clear goals for both team performance and personal development that align with the goals of the CAO and Splunk and attract and retain a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workforce
- Lead the Accounting (close) transformation journey to enable operational excellence and scale, by leading automation, integration, and change management efforts; implementing change and creating programs to increase efficiency and accountability both within accounting and cross-functionally
- The Controller will be responsible for the leadership, development and execution of general accounting functions and ensuring a SOX compliant environment, including ensuring accurate and timely SEC financial reporting and compliance
- This individual will be responsible for setting accounting policies and practices, SEC reporting and compliance, technical accounting, maintenance of related fiscal records, management of transactional shared services, preparation of internal financial reports and analysis, general ledger accounting, development of new accounting systems as needed, and will be a strong project manager and leader with a demonstrated history of implementing positive change and improvement
- This role partners with the CAO to determine accounting implications for all material business decisions which includes owning primary responsibility for driving the Company’s view on and implementation of technical accounting matters, and establishment of accounting policies as a thought leader.
- You will oversee General Ledger and accounting function; assures accuracy, timeliness, and conformity with professional accounting standards and best practices in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- You will lead, grow, empower, and inspire a team of finance professionals located both domestically and internationally, and work across the broader finance team to enable and deliver Splunk’s strategic and financial goals
- Creates governance structures for effective decision making, leading with a principles and data-backed approach, balancing stakeholder needs with delivering the customer benefit
- Ensure all transactions are recorded timely and accurately into the Company’s general ledger and financial statements with a focus on proactive issue identification and resolution
- Ensure compliant and timely SEC reporting (Forms 10-K and 10-Qs, etc.), support for all earnings releases and public financial disclosures, and other regulated entity compliance reporting for entities worldwide
- Interpretation, review, and implementation of existing and new accounting pronouncements to ensure compliance with US GAAP as well as ascertaining and developing appropriate disclosures in the Company’s SEC filings
- Develop and mentor the accounting team with a focus on advance communication, high transparency, minimizing surprises, and effective partnership with leaders cross-functionally
- Partner with Finance Systems to define finance requirements and improvements to our existing SAP S4/HANA ERP system to increase effectiveness and efficiencies, enhance processes, and enable scale
- Partner and work closely with Internal Audit on SOX compliance to provide direction, implementation and maintenance of effective, consistent, and efficient control policies, standards, and application
- Act as primary liaison with the company’s external auditors and other external service providers and regulators
- Proactively communicate all applicable new accounting pronouncements in an easy-to-understand manner to help organizational leaders to understand impact
- Oversee accounting for M&A activities and lead the team responsible for integration activities across Finance
- Partner with the Corporate Tax team to ensure the understanding of federal and state tax implications to key business decisions and financial accounting/reporting
- Monitor and analyze department to continuously develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining effectiveness of controls
- Prior public company controller experience required
- 15+ years of progressive experience in senior accounting roles at public companies/public accounting
- Minimum of BS in Accounting or equivalent experience; CPA required
- Strong executive presence in successfully managing c-level relationships and working cross functionally with a willingness to challenge the status quo, balance partner engagement with the natural tension that comes from compliance/public company requirements
- Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate having a customer focus, a strong business acumen, ability to instill a results-driven/solutions-oriented culture, and forward-leaning thought leadership that successfully devises strategies to navigate and address challenges and future needs
- Deep subject matter expertise in technical accounting and controllership practices, with an extensive network of external relationships that can be leveraged to keep a pulse on best practices, industry application and access to established and emerging leadership talent
- Strong track record of management capabilities including the hiring, retention and engagement of employees and teams.
- Ability to identify and assess risks with a history of implementing appropriate, effective, and cost-effective mitigation strategies to reduce business exposure to an acceptable level
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
To conform to U.S. export control regulations, applicants must be eligible for required authorizations from the U.S. Government.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Preventative measures may require individuals entering Splunk offices to be fully vaccinated and in some cases may require employees to show proof of full vaccination. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.