Legal Counsel, Litigation and Investigations
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, our customers, having fun, and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
We are seeking a talented and motivated individual to join Splunk’s growing Compliance, Employment & Risk team which includes Compliance, Litigation & Investigations, Employment, and support of Splunk’s PubSec compliance efforts. This person will support the Litigation & Investigations team coordinating closely with the Compliance and Employment teams. This person will be highly collaborative and entrepreneurial, embracing the opportunity to help innovate, drive, and scale best-in-class risk management programs, build internal relationships, drive strategy across multiple functions, and anticipate evolving risk in a global market. This person will be flexible, creative, and self-motivated--showing initiative and perseverance, resourcefulness, a strong work ethic, a collaborative approach, and a sense of humor. This position will report to the Sr. Director, Compliance & Risk.
As Litigation & Investigations Counsel, you will address a broad range of risk management issues in a global environment and help inform Splunk’s global compliance program. You will:
- Support global litigation and pre-litigation matters across a wide range of issues.
- Support all facets of commercial litigation including responding to subpoenas and discovery requests, assessing and responding to bankruptcy notices, drafting and revising legal briefs, interviewing witnesses, preparing witnesses for testimony, and negotiating and drafting settlements. You will also support the Employment and IP teams on employment or patent litigation as appropriate.
- Supervise outside counsel relationships, including staffing, litigation strategy, work product, and budgets.
- Work closely with internal business partners across the organization to proactively address and resolve potential disputes while supporting business objectives.
- Innovate and drive scalable processes and procedures to support a rapidly-growing global business.
- Enhance the Company’s eDiscovery program including maintaining guidelines and processes and ongoing review and assessment of communication and collaboration tools working closely with the Legal Operations teams.
- Support the team on a variety of internal investigations in collaboration with other applicable corporate functions, including Internal Audit, Finance, HR and Sales.
- Coordinate with the team on remediation and corrective action as appropriate for violations of Splunk policies and procedures.
- Track and report on status and outcomes of investigations, litigation matters and dispute resolution issues.
- Develop automated and scalable processes that allow for verification and auditing. Whenever possible, use Splunk technology to drive these efforts.
Requirements: I've already done that or have that!
The candidate must have:
- J. D. from a top-tier law school and good standing to practice law in the State of California.
- Minimum of 8 years of broad litigation and investigation experience at a leading law firm and/or in-house, handling complex commercial litigation, including class action litigation, alternative dispute resolution, pre-litigation disputes and internal investigations.
- Deep knowledge of eDiscovery issues, including document retention policies and procedures; collection, review, and production of documents; and third-party subpoena compliance.
- Ability to provide practical, actionable advice while balancing risks and business reward.
- Strong organizational skills, an ability to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-moving, quickly-changing environment, both collaborating as a team and working independently.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal and ability to advocate for a position while maintaining an open-minded approach.
- Experience conducting compliance-related investigations in/for a multi-national organization.
- Experience working with or in a fast-paced multinational b2b or enterprise software company with a channel sales model preferred.
- Combination of both in-house and law firm experience desired.
- Comfort presenting to and engaging with senior leaders.
- Experience creating and conducting formal presentations and trainings globally.
- Ability to travel (domestically and internationally).
- Sense of Humor!
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.