Legal Intern (Summer 2021)
Do you want to join us as we pursue our disruptive vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone? Are you passionate about technology products and seek to deliver the best experience for customers? At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun, and most importantly to each others' success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Splunk is seeking motivated, self-starters to help us lead the big data revolution and build one of the world’s iconic technology companies! Splunk Legal is looking for a dynamic and hardworking legal intern with a real passion for technology and the law. As an intern, you will be a core part of the global legal team and collaborate with departments across Splunk. You will learn the legal aspects of running an innovative technology company successfully. You will get hands-on legal experience and interact directly with a diverse set of functional teams within and outside of the legal department. Examples of prior intern projects include: conducting legal research, preparing memoranda and presentations, assisting with contract negotiations, drafting and reviewing licenses and other contracts from start to finish, building handbooks and playbooks for use by the organization. You will be assigned projects across the legal department, examples of which include Corporate, Commercial Transactions, Operations, Compliance, Employment, Product, Data Privacy, and Intellectual Property. The position reports to Splunk Legal. Role has the possibility to lead to a full-time position after law school graduation.
Location: San Francisco.
- Collaborate with the legal team to facilitate Splunk’s present and future success in an evolving and growing legal department
- Gain direct experience in corporate legal projects, including corporate governance, quarterly financial reporting, and compliance with accounting and financial standards
- Assist with various projects in support of the commercial team, including contract negotiation and the creation of processes for the growth of the sales and business teams
- Assist with projects in legal operations, including building out internal and external tools and procedures to improve transactional velocity and metrics
- Assist with compliance and employment law projects, both domestically and with a global focus
- Assist with intellectual property protection, product counseling, and global data privacy issues and concerns
- Currently enrolled in a JD program
- Demonstrated passion for the legal industry and technology
- Excellent organizational, recordkeeping and record management skills
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines
- Strong written and oral communication and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional interpersonal skills needed to interact across all levels
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information responsibly
- Desire and ability to work in a high-growth environment
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment
- Embody professional and ethical integrity
Tasks and substantive areas: I can learn that!
- Research laws, regulations and legal development in various jurisdictions that are applicable to Splunk, its business and customers
- Assist with the design and implementation of processes and procedures to support legal department initiatives
- Assist with the drafting and auditing of policies, notices, disclosures and other regulatory- and legal-related documentation
- Attend live negotiation sessions
- Assist with the development and delivery of various trainings across the company
- Broaden knowledge in a variety of substantive areas, including corporate, licensing, IP, product, data, privacy, data security and information governance, compliance & ethics, employment, commercial and other legal risks in the US and internationally
- Be involved as an integral part of the Legal team participating in team meetings, trainings and other off-site activities of the Legal Department, including many free lunches!
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to email@example.com. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.