Join us as we pursue our disruptive vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our products and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun, and supporting each other's successes. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Become Splunk’s first Patent Agent, and help us scale our IP department to match a high-growth, high-innovation company. As a Patent Agent, you will join a team of attorneys and paralegals to help the company continue to build a world-class patent portfolio protecting Splunk’s trailblazing innovations. You will oversee drafting of new patent applications, manage prosecution of pending applications, and assist in-house attorneys with patent application filing, portfolio development, prosecution strategy, and asset management. You will be responsible for managing outside counsel through all phases of prosecution, from drafting to issuance. Interested candidates may also perform invention harvesting, in-house preparation of new applications, and in-house prosecution, if these tasks are of interest to you.
This position will report to the Director, IP Counsel, and will be based in the Bay Area - either San Francisco or San Jose.
The successful candidate will:
● Collaborate with in-house attorneys in strategizing, overseeing the preparation of, and reviewing new patent applications
● Supervise outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of high-quality patent assets, providing technical, legal, and strategic input to ensure overall work quality
● Mine existing patent portfolios for unclaimed subject matter
● Conduct analysis of patent asset portfolios to assist in asset management
● Assist in implementing processes to scale the IP program
● Develop and advance the company's IP strategy
● As the role develops, additional responsibilities related to patent mining, patent harvesting, and original drafting may be added.
● At least 7 years of patent prosecution experience, including preparing, drafting, and prosecuting software patents
● Have drafted at least 80 original patent applications and prosecuted at least 200 applications from first office action to a final disposition.
● Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Software industry experience or other industry experience that included programming is helpful but not required
● Previous in-house experience will be admired but is not required
● Team focused and collaborative
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which you are applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Preventative measures may require individuals entering Splunk offices to be fully vaccinated and in some cases may require employees to show proof of full vaccination. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected]. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.