Senior Engineering Manager, Product Performance
Are you passionate about learning new technologies and understanding how they work? Are you interested in an opportunity to work with an upbeat team to help drive its products to a new level? We are looking for a seasoned, creative Director Performance/Scalability/Reliability Engineering to help us build performance, scale, and reliability into the product and delight our customers.
As a Sr. Engineering Manager for Product Performance, you'll have a key role in our products' success. You will collaborate with peers, field teams, customers to understand and encapsulate the use cases into industry standard benchmarks. You will work with product management and interact directly with our customers to get direct exposure to the usage patterns we strive to satisfy. You will also drive projects to integrate benchmarking into our continuous integration and test automation frameworks.
What You'll Be Doing:
- You will lead an organization consisting of extraordinary, highly motivated software engineers who are responsible for making Splunk products performant, scalable and reliable. You will be responsible for providing performance insights, validating service limits, and identifying optimization opportunities to product stakeholders, triage production performance bottlenecks, and identify and fix performance issues while working with all engineering teams.
- Work with various engineering/product teams to design and develop state-of-the-art solutions to existing performance problems, and performance analysis tools to allow engineering teams to gain further insight into production behavior.
- You will help cultivate the data engineering culture of owning performance, so every engineer knows that their code is accurately tested in an autonomous fashion as they deploy to each environment.
- Own end-to-end performance coverage, identify bottlenecks and work with the Engineering teams to address issues.
- Encourage a data-driven culture to improve the performance, efficiency and scalability of services and systems to help scale the company.
- You will be responsible for management of objectives, priorities, tradeoffs, risk as well as performance management of the organization
- Provide technical leadership, career development, and mentoring to team members.
Who You Are & What Makes You Qualified:
- 8+ years performance engineering experience with a distinguished track record of driving performance across a large team
- 5+ years management experience with demonstrated ability to attract, develop and retain talent.
- You will need exceptional leadership skills, familiarity with performance/scale practices, tools, proficiency with agile development methodologies, and the ability to operate within short release cycles.
- Strong champion for performance scalability reliability in dev ops world
- Deep experience in customer engagement from engineering org
- Strong technical skills in Big Data Platform and distributed computing system, micro service, cloud native performance. Domain knowledge in cloud computing.
- Skilled in both the art and science of benchmark creation and measurement and modeling of system limit and behavior under load
- Ability to understand root cause of performance bottlenecks with profiling tools, pstack, qml profiler
- Passionate to optimize the performance bottlenecks and improve the product
- Experience in taking on problems of load, scale, and optimizations of sophisticated large-scale deployments
- Experience in scripting languages (Python) and compiled languages (C/C++)
- Ability to empower people, instill accountability and achieve results.
- Agile, proactive, comfortable working with ambiguous specifications and can prioritize on the fly.
- Experience with enterprise software capacity planning is a big plus
- Masters/Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Software Engineering, or Equivalent Experience.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Splunk provides reasonable medical, religious, or other legally required accommodations for eligible employees.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected] Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.