Senior Business Analyst, Splunk@Splunk
Are you expertly skilled in technical planning, requirements analysis, communications, and managing projects? If yes, read on.
The Splunk@Splunk team is the world’s ultimate Splunk engineering team. We design, build, operate, and automate the corporate deployment of Splunk Enterprise, as well as all of its data collection systems, for Splunk, Inc. Our team’s mission is to provide the data and systems necessary to monitor the health of all of Splunk’s corporate IT services, as well as the company’s security posture. Yes, even Splunk’s internal Security Operations Center (SOC) depends on our team’s deployment of Splunk. How cool is that?
As the Senior Business Analyst for Splunk@Splunk, you will be responsible for managing our partners, performing requirements analysis, and executing planning activities that are required for us to keep the data flowing! You will guide the speed and direction of our world-class engineering activities to ensure that we achieve maximum business impact.
Responsibilities: I want to and can do that!
You will maintain our team’s alignment with business partners, users, and technical teams throughout Splunk IT and Splunk Global Security (SGS) through recurring interlock meetings.
You will listen to our business partners' experiences and challenges, then convert them into business and technical project requirements.
You will gain an understanding of our team’s services, infrastructure, software, and processes. Apply that understanding to document technical debt, improve processes, and identify new project opportunities. Evaluate the business impact, risks, benefits, development cost, and return on investment for these potential opportunities.
You will lead all planning activities for the Splunk@Splunk team’s body of work. Develop structured epics, user stories, functional and non-functional requirements, acceptance criteria, and other documentation as-needed (e.g. training materials, flowcharts, data flow diagrams).
You will apply your understanding of our team’s strategic goals, engineering capabilities, and day-to-day resource utilization to schedule and prioritize project work against internal R&D, operational work, and other team activities.
You will act as an authority for internal reporting of team critical metrics using various tools (Jira, ServiceNow, Splunk, PlanView) and provide periodic status reports to management, as well as partners.
You will triage new work that comes into our team by evaluating each request, communicating with the requester, and documenting all requirements that will be needed by our engineers to successfully deliver the work.
You will maintain the team’s Jira backlog through periodic grooming activities.
You will work in close coordination with the team’s manager and technical lead to develop quarterly work plans for tactical execution by our engineers. These plans will include the prioritized epics and stories that you’ve developed, along with achievements and due dates for each deliverable. The quarterly plan will align with our team’s Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) for the quarter.
You will be responsible for the successful execution of sophisticated technical projects within a defined program while managing scope, delivery timeline, quality, risks, and partner expectations.
Requirements: I’ve already done that or have that!
- 5+ years previous experience in business analysis
- 3+ years previous experience in product ownership or professional services
- 1+ years of experience working with Splunk Enterprise or comparable big data systems (e.g. ELK, Snowflake)
- Willingness to learn Splunk Enterprise concepts, nomenclature, and basic architecture.
- Experience with agile software delivery frameworks
- Experience with automating, improving, and redesigning business processes related to enterprise systems (e.g. Splunk, Salesforce, SAP, ServiceNow, etc.)
- Ability to explain complex systems and technical topics in a clear, concise manner to others who may have minimal technical knowledge using oral, written and visual presentations
- Familiarity with Splunk usage and reporting
- Understanding of Atlassian tools (Confluence, JIRA)
- Highly skilled in generating BRDs, project plans, roadmaps, and documentation
- Solid understanding of distributed systems, APIs, automation workflows, and CI/CD preferred.
Preferred knowledge and experience: These are a huge plus.
Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) certification
Master of Business Administration (MBA)degree
Education: Got it.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or equivalent years of industry experience.
What We Offer You: Wow, I want that.
- An opportunity to innovate cutting-edge solutions using Splunk software for Splunk itself. Plus, the ability to share those innovations with our customers! How cool is that?
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of extraordinarily hardworking, innovative, open, fun and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment.
We don't expect people to work 12-hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and dedication and believe that balance helps cultivate an extraordinary environment
This isn’t a job – it’s a life changer – are you ready?
Splunk has been named one of San Francisco Bay Area’s “Best Places to Work” by the San Francisco Business Times, ten years in a row. We offer a highly competitive compensation package and a plethora of benefits.
Splunk is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.