Staff Technical Writer (Splunk Platform Software)
Bring your talent and experience to the Splunk doc team! Join a supportive and collaborative team of writers and editors dedicated to building high-quality content for customers who use Splunk software. We wrote The Product is Docs, we created the Splunk Style Guide, and we meet regularly as a group to improve our skills and share our knowledge with each other. We engage with our peers throughout the profession to challenge assumptions and provoke discussions about the best ways to develop information, communicate with customers, and address challenges in the industry.
Technical writers on our team play a vital role in getting our customers up and running quickly. Splunk platform writers enable the success of technically-minded users including system administrators, data analysts, and knowledge managers. This position also offers the rare benefit of direct communication with the customers who use your documentation to accomplish their goals.
As a technical writer at Splunk, you'll work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate daily with software engineers, product managers, and other technical writers. You’ll create web-based documentation and continuously update it with improvements and new features.
This position is ideal for a writer who enjoys working on a variety of projects and quickly gaining the technical proficiency needed to contribute independently. You should have both a demonstrated ability to deliver high-quality work and the technical background required to engage directly with software engineers, product managers, and UI engineers. You must be collaborative, curious, and persistent with a proactive approach to delivering results. You should be comfortable working in an Agile environment and tracking the work of one or more scrum teams during a monthly release cycle.
- Write clear and accurate documentation that enables customers to use and manage Splunk software effectively and efficiently.
- Integrate quickly with new scrum teams to learn their subject matter and build productive working relationships.
- Work closely with agile development teams and product managers to define documentation requirements and produce customer-facing docs.
- Discuss technical details and solve problems with engineers, customer support reps, technical writers, and customers every day.
- Collaborate with other writers and coordinate on the delivery of shared content.
- Follow an established style guide and work with editors to create the best possible documentation for customers.
- Respond directly to user feedback and integrate user suggestions to continuously improve your documentation.
- 4+ years experience writing documentation for sophisticated enterprise software products.
- Ability to manage time and priorities in a dynamic development environment at a high-growth company.
- Experience documenting software systems that are configured through API endpoints and command-line interfaces, as well as a GUI.
- BA/BS degree in Technical Communication, English, Computer Science, a related technical field, or relevant professional experience.
- Samples that showcase your best work.
Other relevant skills
- Working knowledge of Unix or Linux operating systems.
- Familiarity with REST API concepts and functionality.
- Knowledge of distributed systems and clusters.
- Experience writing for system administrator audiences.
- Knowledge of Splunk software and use cases.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $75,000. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected]. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.