Director, Strategic Commercial (Legal)
We are looking for a talented and motivated attorney with broad technology transaction experience to lead strategic initiatives that drive scale, automation and growth for the Splunk commercial legal function. Responsibilities include: creating Splunk’s out-bound and in-bound commercial, channel and alliance agreements, and ensuring that related playbooks are continuously reviewed and updated to reflect best in class practices and leading market terms that support automation, transactional velocity and scale as well as customer success, while providing necessary protection to Splunk; developing and implementing solutions to address new and evolving cross-functional regulatory requirements (e.g., GDPR, ASC 606); supporting the commercial aspects of M&A transactions and integration efforts; and drive data oriented solutions. This position will also be responsible for developing internal and intra-departmental trainings on these initiatives and other key topics relevent to commercial transactions.
You will make an immediate impact and contribution to Splunk’s rapid growth and success. You will have deep transactional expertise and drafting acumen, have a process orientation, organizational excellence and play an important role in helping develop and scale the commercial legal function for Splunk. You will collaborate with the legal functions that interact with procurement, sales, customer success, legal operations and partner teams. This role will report to the Vice President, Commercial (Legal) based in San Francisco, CA.
To succeed, you will need to be diligent and dedicated, have the demonstrated ability to develop collaborative working relationships with sales and procurement colleagues and various business units. You will be a visionary in new ways to empower the legal team to deliver world class transactional support. You possess excellent business intuition and critical thinking, can perform independently as well as cross-functionally and flexibly in a dynamic team environment, and you know how to prioritize and drive multiple initiatives to conclusion independently and with speed. We need someone that is strategic and detail oriented and capable of influencing others; and work successfully in a fast moving entrepreneurial, environment across different functional groups, time zones, geographies and cultures. The successful candidate must be flexible, creative, energetic and smart--shows initiative and perseverance, resourcefulness, with a proven track record and relevant legal knowledge base. We need a great lawyer that possesses strong negotiation and collaboration skills and excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills, is self-motivated, self-reliant, and confident, has a good sense of humor and a deep sense of humility. Be ready to adapt at all times in a dynamic and exciting environment.
- Create and ensure that Splunk’s out-bound and in-bound commercial agreements and playbooks are continuously reviewed and updated;
- Assess historic commercial transactions and advise on improvements to Splunk’s Sales and Procurement agreement templates;
- Collect and analyze data to measure performance and develop solutions to address critical businesss needs;
- Employ a data driven approach to analyzing the data and information related to our commercial transactions that we are collecting and reporting on, and recommending appropriate changes, updates and new thinking;
- Provide deep knowledge of relevant aspects of existing and developing laws, rules and regulations including but not limited to regulatory requirements such as ASC 606, data privacy/governance, export controls, cybersecurity and government contracing;
- Embrace a global perspective and demonstrate awareness of geographic nuance and requirements, and assist in the company’s global commercial expansion including recommendations and timelines for implementing foreign law agreements.
- Stay apprised of geopolitical and other changes in regulations and laws that may affect the way Splunk transcts business and advise on anticipated changes required in our commercial templates and transaction delivery as needed to meet Splunk’s commercial business objectives;
- Develop and support M&A diligence and integration efforts related to commercial contracts and transactions;
- Create training content to enable and empower the Commercial legal team on a wide range of agreements for procurement and sales software transactions, chiefly cloud agreements, software licenses and professional services agreements;
- As needed, draft, review and negotiate the above referenced agreements;
- Build strong internal and external relationships while balancing the needs of Splunk’s Commercial legal team with Splunk’s global strategy and priorities;
- Implement strategic initiatives that advance Splunk’s business including Splunk’s priorities and initiatives related to Field Sales transactions and Procurement transactions; and
- Perform other legal responsibilities as requested.
- At least 10 years’ experience with a leading software or technology company, with law firm experience preferred
- Law degree with excellent academic credentials
- Licensed to practice law in California preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills in a high growth environment; a track record of committing to results and building high performing teams
- Deep substantive transaction experience in drafting and negotiating complex contract and/or licensing agreements, working with two-tier sales partners and experience working in fast-paced technology companies
- Expertise in drafting templates and playbooks and leading and managing strategic initiatives
- Process orientation, organizational excellence, outstanding drafting skills, strong communicator and collaborator, thoughtful team play required
- Deep experience in compliance, data security, privacy, and intellectual property matters
- Specific experience in a SaaS, cloud computing, and enterprise software
- Ability to successfully lead cross functional strategic initiatives and drive to meet deliverables within proscribed deadlines
- Ability to deliver in a demanding and entrepreneurial environment in a timely manner
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.