Senior Data Engineer
Ready to shake things up? Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and strive to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun, and most significantly to each other’s success. We continue to be on a tear while enjoying incredible growth year over year.
As the Senior Data Engineer within the Data Technologies and engineering organization, you will own and be part of business analytics projects from Inception through Hypercare. As a data and reporting engineer you will drive transformational data and analytics initiatives for improving the effectiveness and efficiency for Enterprise business functions. Having the right blend of technological depth, Sales, Marketing, Finance process and systems expertise along with analytics skills is key to the success of the role. You will be expected to manage end to end delivery of small to medium scale projects in the data & analytics area through active leadership and partner management, both at strategic and tactical levels. Very Strong presentation skills and executive presence, with effective communication to create impact and influence both at the executive and mid-level management.
What you'll do: Yeah, I want to and can do that.
- Deep understanding of Cloud Data Warehouse methodologies, Data Architecture, Data Modeling, and metadata.
- Ability to support the creation of a single source of truth for Business Metrics leveraging agreed upon data definitions, create a common data foundation, and semantic layers to be consumed by business.
- Deliver highly available, reliable, innovative large-scale data warehousing solutions to facilitate data ingestion, build optimized aggregates and building reporting solutions.
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience working with Cloud database technologies like Redshift, Snowflake and multiple BI platforms such as Tableau, Splunk and scripting language like Python.
- Solid grasp of operational processes, systems and data in multiple areas of Sales & operations; Forecasting, Quote to Cash, Pipeline management.
- Understanding of SaaS business applications and processes as in Salesforce, SAP, Eloqua, Anaplan, etc.
- Identify data patterns, attribute hierarchies and data relationships and organize into data dictionaries, create standardized definitions for metrics and critical metrics.
- Analytical and problem-solving experience, exposure to large-scale systems and some experience writing code.
- Strong business analysis skills - capturing and documenting requirements, understanding business impacts and tradeoffs, conducting interviews and workshops, proposing solutions, documentation and training, etc.
Requirements: I’ve already done that or have that!
- 8+ years of experience as a Data Warehouse Analyst, Data Engineer and/or Data Scientist
- Savviness with complex SQL queries and knowledge of database technologies including window and analytical functions
- Experience with Python analytic libraries and Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau.
- An ability to provide technical guidance, direction and problem solving to data engineering team members.
- Confidence to offer consultation to business partners and team members within Sales, Partner, Marketing Operations.
- A familiarity working with an AGILE/SCRUM process management.
Preferred knowledge and experience: These are a huge plus.
- Knowledge of Splunk products
- Agile certifications
Education: Got it!
Bachelor’s degree preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or equivalent years of industry experience.
What We Offer You: Wow, I want that.
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of extraordinarily hardworking, innovative, open, fun and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment.
We don't expect people to work 12 hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and dedication and believe that balance helps cultivate an extraordinary environment
This isn’t a job – it’s a life changer – are you ready?
Splunk has been named one of San Francisco Bay Area’s “Best Places to Work” by the San Francisco Business Times, ten years in a row. We offer a highly competitive compensation package and a plethora of benefits.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $90,000. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected]. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.