Principal Application Pen Tester (US Remote Available)
Join Splunk as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun, and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
About the role
As a principal member of the Penetration Testing team, you will be responsible for testing all of Splunk’s customer-facing products, and helping mature the offensive security program at Splunk. This role involves crafting attack plans, carrying out pen test engagements, and writing up reports for development teams with detailed descriptions of findings and recommendations. You’ll also consult with members of the Product Security team to provide insight into vulnerabilities and appropriate security controls to build as well as secure development practices. As Splunk’s business rapidly shifts to cloud-based services, a crucial component for the role is an understanding of cloud delivery models for building and deploying applications.
Opportunities in this role include: understanding the diverse Splunk product portfolio, risk-based prioritization, ensuring penetration testing coverage, remediation guidance, secure design pattern consulting, incident response guidance, and bug bounty decisions.
- Have significant hands on penetration testing experience and offensive capabilities in numerous core competency areas including web applications, mobile applications, networks, Multi Tier architecture or Distributed Systems
- Have a mature understanding of coverage and risk as an outcome of pen-testing as it relates to product security posture and business needs
- Track and research the latest developments in vulnerability research
- Have the ability to develop or adapt custom tooling to solve new needs
- Ability to teach and provide feedback to coworkers
- Be accountable for internal programs related to the work area.
- Build relationships with engineering teams to drive Splunk products to a mature security state
- 8+ years experience in application level penetration testing
- Strong understanding of vulnerabilities, common attack vectors and how to resolve them
- Ability to quickly comprehend and digest application/systems designs
- Attacker mindset: ability to think creatively about relevant threats and attacks
- Ability to organize and lead others in a pen test through an attack plan on complex application and systems designs
- Well-rounded background in application, network, and system security
- Familiarity with public cloud platforms (preferably AWS and GCP)
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Experience with Splunk products
- Contributions to the security community such as research, public CVEs, bug-bounty recognitions, open-source projects, and blogs or publications
- Familiarity with “big data” and distributed systems technology
- Ability to drive efforts as a SME: thinking in whole systems, working within and between teams to have a positive security impact
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $135,000.00. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Preventative measures may require individuals entering Splunk offices to be fully vaccinated and in some cases may require employees to show proof of full vaccination. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected]. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.