Legal Counsel, Products & Services
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our products and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Splunk Legal is looking for an experienced and motivated attorney to serve as a seasoned legal advisor to various solutions groups and business teams. You will work closely with key internal business and technology partners on various strategic and day-to-day legal matters relating to the development and release of Splunk offerings. You will support the introduction of new solutions and channels, ensure production readiness, build scalable compliance strategies, and address customer requirements. The position will report to the Director, Products and Services (Legal).
Personal Characteristics and Skills:
To succeed in this role, you will need to possess and exemplify excellent business judgment and critical thinking; maintain a strong work ethic and a high degree of accountability; and have the ability to use business context to generate pragmatic and effective legal solutions to achieve business objectives while mitigating risks. You should be able to work independently as well as collaboratively and flexibly in a fast-paced and constantly evolving environment; and adapt your approach and demeanor to match shifting demands of different situations. You should possess excellent communication skills (oral and written) and sophisticated influencing skills to build trusted relationships both within and outside the department. Success requires self-motivation, inquisitiveness, confidence, diligence and a passion to learn about new technologies and to pave ways in unchartered territories.
- Support product development, readiness and releases by reviewing product release checklists for issues related to intellectual property, open source, data privacy & security, marketing, competition, payment, and other legal and regulatory issues
- Build a trusted advisor relationship with senior managers
- Engage with product team members, including product managers, field strategists, software engineers, data scientists, technical writers and marketing managers
- Support M&A activities, including diligence and integration
- Review, draft and negotiate technology agreements, including inbound/OEM license agreements, MSP/ISV agreements, partner interoperability agreements, strategic alliance agreements, consulting and development agreements
- Perform due diligence to ensure compliance with third-party agreements, open source licenses, security attestations and government regulations and certifications
- Develop positive, strong, and collaborative relationships with cross-functional partners across Splunk to effectively deliver on complex tasks
- Pitch in on other responsibilities as needed
- JD degree from ABA accredited university and member in good standing of the Bar in the relevant jurisdiction
- Minimum of 5 years of experience providing legal support to technology businesses at both a well-regarded law firm and corporate legal department
- At least 3 years in the software/SaaS industry with strong understanding of cloud service offerings, including managed service offerings and multi-tenant SaaS architecture
- Ability to understand technical lingo and concepts as well as be fluent in enterprise software development methods and business models
- Understanding of Big Data (including ML/AI) preferred
- Expertise in intellectual property, open source issues, data privacy, and information and product security
- Deep experience and knowledge in reviewing technology license agreements and negotiating difficult transactions
- Experience working with software developers and product managers to guide compliance and resolve complicated issues in creative and effective ways
We value diversity at our company. Everyone who applies with the qualifications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $125,000.00. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
To conform to U.S. export control regulations, applicants must be eligible for required authorizations from the U.S. Government.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Preventative measures may require individuals entering Splunk offices to be fully vaccinated and in some cases may require employees to show proof of full vaccination. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.