Manager, Engineering - Data
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Are you passionate about data and open source? Join us in developing sophisticated platform services, frameworks and tooling that allows customers and developers to collect massive amounts of data from a multitude of devices, operating systems, logs, metrics and more in a scalable and reliable way.
The Messaging As A Service (MaaS) team at Splunk is looking for an engineering leader to help lead and grow a team of passionate engineers.
Seeking an experienced technical leader and expert in the design and development of complex and challenging products to collect, transform and enrich data in a fast, scalable & reliable way both for Cloud and On-premise customers.
You would be leading and mentoring a small team that are developing, improving, and delivering solutions to the open source projects that the team is relying on. In particular Apache Pulsar, Apache BookKeeper, Apache Zookeeper, and Kubernetes.
- Foster individual growth of engineers by posturing them for success in an increasingly cloud-first world.
- Partner with cross-functional team members and stakeholders to develop and maintain a well-defined roadmap, while balancing technological excellence.
- Build a culture of inclusion, transparency, continuous learning, growth, and sharing of technological insights.
- Inspire and encourage team by contextualizing the work in the greater business picture.
- Share and solicit feedback early and often.
- Educate and advocate for engineering best practices within the platform ecosystem.
- Recruit, develop, and retain world-class engineers.
- Drive practices in training, development, and efficiencies across multiple feature teams.
- Represent the team in operational meetings to share best practices and metrics from the services
- 2+ years of management experience
- 8 years of professional experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent practical experience
- You have led software teams that have delivered sophisticated products and made an impact for your users.
- You encourage them to achieve more than they thought possible.
- You are passionate about building and running distributed systems at scale in production. You understand the challenges and trade-offs to be made when building and deploying systems to production.
- You've shown the ability to effectively work collaboratively across functions and across remote teams.
- You have proven people management and leadership skills, and a consistent track record of mentoring and coaching team members.
- You are passionate about creating and fostering good engineering practices and processes, like version control, testing, continuous integration, and continuous build/test/release automation.
- Strong understanding of modern software development practices including Agile, DevOps, and CI/CD
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Familiarity with messaging systems like Apache Pulsar or Apache Kafka is beneficial
- Familiarity with container based development lifecycle, with Docker or Kubernetes for example, is beneficial
- Familiarity and experience working with Open Source Software (OSS) communities such as Apache Software Foundation, CNCF, or Linux Foundation would be helpful
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $150,000.00. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!
Splunk's Hiring Practices
Splunk turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are committed to equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement. If you need assistance or an accommodation to apply or during the hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk’s Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is committed to the health and safety of our employees and customers. We comply with local, state/territory, and federal regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the countries in which we operate. Preventative measures may require individuals entering Splunk offices to be fully vaccinated and in some cases may require employees to show proof of full vaccination. Splunk provides reasonable accommodations for employees who have qualifying medical or religious reasons.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to [email protected]. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.