ABOUT SPLASH DAMAGE
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
Our offices are based in Bromley, UK.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
As Splash Damage’s Game Designer you will be responsible for a number of major features or areas of a game, driving end-to-end implementation across the team, as well as contributing to the definition of the expected quality of the game.
You will work to create a unified game experience, realise, and communicate the game vision throughout the team, ensuring alignment across all disciplines.
You will regularly communicate progress against quality, scope, and game vision alignment expectations. You will discuss and explain the rationale behind your decision-making, listen and respond to feedback on your designs, working iteratively to improve them. You will regularly present the areas of the game you are responsible for to the team.
You will implement feature optimisations and tuning plans demonstrating a strong understanding of metrics and development restrictions; you will own the tuning for accountable features. You will attend focus group and playtest sessions, generate feedback reports, deliver them to the product team and integrate relevant feedback into the product design.
You will provide input on project schedules throughout development to prioritise tasks / workload for the developers responsible for their assigned feature-set, in alignment with the product vision. You will articulate the impact of changes to the game design to the developers on your team.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games
- Industry experience in releasing a current gen AAA title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
- The ability to work independently without close supervision
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience writing clear, concise design documentation
- Experience of prototyping gameplay mechanics using Unreal, Unity, or similar
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Presentation skills and experience with visual presentation tools (e.g. PowerPoint)
- Experience in use of supporting visuals in documentation including flow charts & diagrams
- Experience with scripting or programming
- Experience with visual design and art tools
- Undergraduate degree in Game Design, Computer Science, Interaction Design, Psychology, or another related field
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.