Lead Online Services Engineer
ABOUT SPLASH DAMAGE
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
While our offices are based in Bromley, UK, our people have access to progressive working patterns that give them the flexibility to decide how to do their best work.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Work your way with access to progressive working patterns including hybrid and fully remote
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
Online Services Leads are responsible for the output of an Online Services team who design, implement and support client side game features that interface with back end and platform level services.
Our Online Services teams work closely with backend services engineers and frontend UI engineers, to help realise features such as Matchmaking, Telemetry, Player Statistics, VOIP solutions, Lobby flow and integrating with XboxLive / Steam / PSN features such as Auth, Rich Presence, Messaging and Party management.
Leads plan sprints for their team, effectively prioritising work to make ideal use of each team member’s skills. Drawing upon their experience they will share knowledge with their team to create robust, flexible interfaces that respect the core technical pillars of a project. They work closely with other disciplines to realise their ideas and are not afraid to dive into hands-on work when necessary.
We trust our Lead OS Programmers with a large degree of autonomy throughout the development cycle, and they put the needs of their team over their own. They are capable leaders who empower their team of programmers, keeping them motivated, providing effective coaching, feedback, and opportunities for growth along the way. They regularly work with the title’s leadership team to solve project-level issues and represent their discipline effectively both internally as well as to external partners.
You Excel At:
- Working effectively in open and collaborative environments.
- Employing a can-do attitude to solve difficult problems as part of an agile, fast-moving and highly-focused team.
- Ensuring that our games are robust and error-tolerant, aiming to provide the best possible player experience at all times.
- A strong background in programming for video games; you’ve worked on at least 1 commercial project.
- Advanced knowledge of C++, with relevant professional experience and good practices.
- Demonstrable experience interacting with external APIs and services within a large and robust system
- Professional experience integrating external APIs with game clients: PSN / XBL / Steam.
- Multi-platform console development experience.
- A can-do attitude and strong interpersonal skills; you love collaborating with others to architect and implement systems.
- Strong time management and organisational skills; you can assist others in getting the job done without supervision.
- Good communication and presentation skills; you’re able to present ideas clearly and confidently to audiences of all experience levels.
Even better if you have :
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 (UE4)
- A real passion for Online and clear enthusiasm for playing games.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.