Senior Technical Artist
About Splash Damage
Splash Damage is dedicated to crafting team-based games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork. We’ve forged enduring experiences within some of gaming’s most beloved franchises over the years and are now entering a bold new era fuelled by ambitious projects utilising both established and original IP, a move into self-publishing and expansion into new locations.
We're advocates for a healthy work-life balance and believe that our teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. We're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Our efforts have been recognised with several best employer awards over the years. Most recently, we were awarded the coveted 3-star ‘world-class employer’ accreditation by Best Companies and named the 58th best large company to work for in the UK, and the 29th best large company in London.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 situation, we're all currently working from home. We continue to hire across our projects and will set you up remotely for the time being.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with the 24/7 Babylon digital GP service
- Get mental health support from our trained Mental Health First Aiders or via our third-party counselling service
- 24/7 employee assistance helpline offering advice and support on a range of topics, including health, relationships, finances, and the law
- 25 days of annual leave, plus 8 public holidays and our annual closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Industry-leading fully-paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
- Enhanced company pension contributions
- Our famous social events are open to you and your family to help you build friendships and have some fun along the way
- Group life assurance scheme
As a Senior Technical Artist, you will be responsible for helping to lead, plan and implement solutions for the art team. You will set great examples and help mentor more junior Technical Artists in order to maintain a consistently high standard of support across all disciplines within the studio.
You will represent Splash Damage's art team on all issues related to art production, and work closely with all other teams in assisting with the technical implementation and management of in-house and outsourced assets.
You should have a pragmatic and practical approach to working with technology, with experience of pushing technical boundaries and ensuring the Art team can work as efficiently as possible. If you think you’ve got what it takes to help Splash Damage raise the bar and strive for excellence, we’d like to hear from you!
As a Senior Technical Artist, you will:
- Drive state of the art visuals that complement the game design and help deliver an exceptional product.
- Prototype graphics related features, as well as authoring content that require high technical expertise.
- Pioneer novel content creation techniques.
- Work with the Art, Engineering and Production departments to ensure all dependencies are met.
- Support the Art team in debugging tools and game related issues.
- Drive the game’s run-time performance and memory consumption optimization efforts.
- Mentor and help the Art team develop workflows and high standards for efficient content generation.
- Develop and maintain Performance Developments Plans to mentor more junior TAs at the studio.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Intimate knowledge of the content creation pipeline (modelling/Uv’ing, texturing/shading, lighting, FX and rigging/animation).
- Demonstrable knowledge of modern game content creation workflows.
- Experience as a Technical Artist on shipped AAA titles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong proactive problem-solving attitude and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have a strong digital Art background (modelling, shading, lighting, VFX).
- Extensive knowledge of Unreal Tech, this includes applications such as Material creation and BluePrint.
- Extensive application scripting experience (e.g. Python, C#), especially for DCC applications (Maya is preferred).
- Good knowledge of Linear Algebra, Calculus and related mathematical concepts found in 3D technologies.
- Solid understanding of real-time physically based materials & rendering (PBR).
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with the Substance suite and Houdini
- Knowledge of lower-level programming languages such as C++
- Knowledge of shading languages, e.g. HLSL, GLSL, cg or pssl
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity