ABOUT SPLASH DAMAGE
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
While our offices are based in Bromley, UK, our people have access to progressive working patterns that give them the flexibility to decide how to do their best work.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Work your way with access to progressive working patterns including hybrid and fully remote
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
You might come from Level Design, Game Design, Narrative Design or dedicated Mission Design but have a passion for, and experience with scenario and mission creation.
This is a highly creative role with a lot of freedom to create exiting encounters. It also demands hands-on work as the successful candidate will be implementing and iterating their own content.
As Splash Damage’s Mission Designer, you will:
- Ideate, own and implement mission content including narrative and enemy encounters.
- Take ownership of your own content and guide it through concept to completion.
- Have a perfect understanding of the game’s vision, direction and narrative and be able to design mission content that fits within these parameters.
- Work closely with designers, programmers and artists to create and maintain fun, playable missions.
- Collect and analyse playtest data and feedback, and iterate on missions accordingly in collaboration with multiple departments.
- Understand the core gameplay mechanics, project goals, and target demographic.
- Understand the technical constraints of the game engine.
- Understand the capabilities and workflow of the game editor and mission creation pipeline, and contribute ideas to help improve them.
- Present your work to the team at various stages and be happy to accept positive critique from peers and Leads.
- Provide positive feedback to other members of the team.
- Pro-actively work with the other mission designers to share knowledge, review content and ensure consistency.
- Work with production to generate tasks, provide estimates and ensure deliverables are provided on time and to the required level of quality
- Constantly monitor the bug database and fix issues in a timely fashion to maintain stability and ensure that your missions remain playable at all times
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games.
- Industry experience and 1 shipped AAA current gen (PS4 / XBOX ONE) console or PC title, worked on from beginning to end as a designer.
- Experience in creating mission content from concept to completion.
- The ability to work independently without close supervision.
- A passion for creating exciting quests and missions.
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines.
- Experience of blueprint scripting in UE4.
- Experience with design documentation, diagram and flow-chart creation.
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience in creative writing.
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.