Lead Character Concept Artist
About Splash Damage
At Splash Damage, we’re dedicated to crafting team-based multiplayer games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork.
Our teams celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics earlier this year, and we’re currently developing Outcasters for Stadia along with several unannounced titles.
As an UnrealEngine focused studio, we're excited to be transitioning our teams to the latest in UE5 technology and we're looking for skilled and passionate developers to help us drive this.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of our staff and their families.
We believe that teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. Therefore we're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 outbreak, we're all currently working from home. We’re still looking to welcome new team members, who'll join us remotely until we return to the studio
We are looking for a passionate and highly talented Lead Character Concept Artist to join our ranks and help build and drive the quality of our projects as well as contribute to the continued development of the talented artists within the company.
As a Lead Character Concept Artist, you will work closely with your Art Director and Leadership Team to conceive, develop and deliver high-quality concept art, maintain and communicate the established vision. You will also work together with the Leadership Team and the Production Team to ensure consistent schedule and project planning, as well as collaborate on workflows and visual direction.
As a Lead Character Concept Artist, you need to be well versed in deconstructing visual style and direction, as well as motivating and clear in communicating it within your team to ensure consistency and high standards of quality.
- Create an awesome line of characters with mechanical sci-fi designs.
- Create high quality, believable and realistic production concepts to represent vision
- Create supporting artwork to aid visual problem solving and iteration
- Work with the Art Director to establish and maintain visual direction
- Motivate and support the Concept Art team to maintain consistent, high-quality art that fits the specifications of the project
- Communicate with other Discipline Leads to ensure the needs of all departments are considered
- Collaborate with Production and Leadership Team on schedule, planning and management
- Contribute to communication with our partners
Essential skills and experience:
- Strong and inspiring portfolio of high-quality and creative concept art
- Strong understanding of artistic and design fundamentals and skills, including drawing, anatomy, composition, perspective, light, colour, functional design, architecture, graphic design and typography.
- Good knowledge of game development, art creation pipelines and workflows.
- Passion for world building, contextual narrative and storytelling
- Ability to give and receive feedback and adapt to visual direction
- Shipped titles in a Senior Position or higher
- Ability to analyse and deconstruct visual style and direction
Preferred skills and experience:
- Understanding of Leadership and Management (planning, scoping etc.)
- Ability to support and mentor less experienced Concept Artists
- Strong traditional art skills
- Experience in AAA development
- Experience managing a team
- Shipped titles in a Leadership Role
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.