About Splash Damage
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
Our offices are based in Bromley, UK.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme.
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process.
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service.
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling.
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader.
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave.
As Splash Damage’s Technical Designer you will work closely with the design team, contributing to the game design. Identify technical pitfalls and challenges while offering solutions and opportunities to innovate.
You will prove new features by developing prototypes or providing accessible prototypes for the design team to experiment with. You will maintain familiarity with the technical and design aspects of the game’s development.
You will mentor, coach, manage and direct other Designers if necessary, including identifying Designers to work on features, levels or products within the studio. You will regularly be part of peer-reviews.
You will liaise with other disciplines in the development of complex features representing Design’s interests, ensuring implementation meets the design brief.
You will act as a technical reference for designers in evaluating features and setting or sharing best practices in production workflows within the team and studio. Support the programming team by assisting in debugging and optimization or undertaking light programming work. You will carry out development tasks such as implementing scripted features on systems or levels.
You will regularly communicate out progress against quality, scope and game vision alignment expectations. You will discuss and explain the rationale behind your decision making and listen, iterating on feedback from other disciplines or Designers. You will regularly present the areas of the game you are responsible for to the studio. Where necessary you will speak to the media and prepare key product messaging for the media.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games, especially the design and technical aspects of their creation.
- Significant industry experience and 1 shipped AAA current gen (PS4 / XBOX ONE) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
- The ability to work independently without close supervision
- Experience with a scripting or programming language (visual or text based)
- Experience of prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, Unity, or similar
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience writing high quality and thorough design documentation
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of players motivations, psychology and cognitive biases
- Knowledge and understanding in multiple areas of design, with emphasis in areas where digital prototyping is required
- Experience with C# or C++
- Aspire to create holistic designs where systems and subsystems work together to make a whole that is more than the sum of its parts
- Some knowledge of design methodologies and frameworks (e.g. MDA, Rational Game Design, PENS etc)
- Undergraduate degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science, Entertainment or a form of technical training
- Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.