Principal Environment Artist
About Splash Damage
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
While our offices are based in Bromley, UK, our people have access to progressive working patterns that give them the flexibility to decide how to do their best work.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Work your way with access to progressive working patterns including hybrid and fully remote
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
Whether they are hard surface architectural, mostly organic or a fusion of both, the worlds that the Environment Artists create here at Splash Damage are not only high quality in terms of their visuals, but are lovingly crafted game play spaces.
We trust our Principal Environment Artists to model high quality assets that are delivered on time, to quality and within the technical specifications required for the game to be performant.
Splash Damage is looking for a talented Principal Environment Artist to join our growing teams of talented developers, helping us to create exciting games that are expertly built and enjoyed by millions.
- Create Environment assets varying in scale and complexity.
- Model assets using reference photographs and concept Art materials.
- Work with the Lead Environment Artist and Art Director to create high quality environments in keeping with the project's visual direction.
- Produce work within performance specifications under strict deadlines.
- Review and implement your work using the game editor.
- Trouble shoot asset errors and action creative feedback.
- Collaborate with other sub-disciplines such as Level Design, Lighting and VFX.
- Coach and mentor junior level staff through knowledge sharing.
- An up-to-date portfolio filled with examples of high-quality environment work.
- A strong understanding of shape, form and composition.
- Proven abilities in optimised 3D asset creation.
- Expert level experience with PBR workflows.
- Proficiency with industry standard modelling tools such as 3D Studio Max and Maya.
- Experience working with Photoshop and Substance Painter.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to work well self-directing as well as within a team.
- Worked with industry standard asset tracking software such as Jira.
- An understanding of the impact of Environment Art on Level Design.
Bonus Points for:
- Experience working within Unreal Engine 4+
- Skills with supporting software such as Zbrush and Substance Designer.
- A mixture of hard surface and foliage asset modelling skills.
- Set dressing and beautification pass experience.
- Houdini or other procedural tooling skills.
- Photogrammetry experience.
- Basic level lighting skills.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.