Global Vice President of Human Resources
Spellman High Voltage Electronics Inc. is looking for a Global Vice President of Human Resources (GVPHR). The market leader in precision, high voltage, DC power conversion, Spellman designs and manufactures custom power supplies for leading Global Equipment Manufacturers. With design and production facilities located in North America, Europe, and Asia, Spellman provides long-term value by:
- Designing, building, and supporting exceptional products;
- Leveraging regional resources and a global infrastructure to provide resilience and flexibility; and
- Creating sustainable, responsible growth that benefits our employees, business partners, and communities.
From its founding in 1947, Spellman’s focus on advancing high-voltage technology, developing long-term partnerships with innovative system developers, and continuously improving its broad portfolio of custom and standard products has driven about 8% year over year organic growth and is projecting 30% growth this year.
As Spellman has grown overseas, it has evolved from a centrally led organization into a matrix structure in which global functional leaders, such as HR, share responsibility for success with local leaders. This new structure has spawned dramatic changes in culture, talent development, business processes, and infrastructure in every functional area.
The Global VP of Human Resources is responsible for engaging employees by linking talent development, performance management, and employee goal setting to business objectives.
The GVPHR will be a member of Spellman’s management team and will report to the President/CEO. As a family held (and actively managed) firm, Spellman offers the right individual the opportunity to shape and execute a long-term, global, HR strategy.
Responsibilities within HR:
- Provides overall leadership and guidance to the global HR function by overseeing talent development, organizational effectiveness, performance management, compensation, benefits, and compliance, and synthesizes global HR trends and challenges.
- The GVPHR ensures that each site has the HR capabilities and resources to achieve local l goals and support corporate HR initiatives.
- Deploys and optimizes global HRIS systems to enhance HR processes, procedures, and decision making.
- Works with direct reports to enhance skills and develop career paths.
- Fosters a culture of open communication, respect and continuous improvement that upholds and promotes the values of the company and acts as a model for other functions.
- Motivates and empowers global HR team.
Corporate Priorities and Responsibilities:
- Partner with top management to be a chief architect, designer, and strategic business advisor regarding Spellman’s global HR strategy and vision.
- Enhance Spellman’s high-performance culture and develop deeper and more collaborative relationships within and between each business segment.
- Establish and implement HR efforts that effectively communicate and support the Spellman’s mission, values, and strategic vision.
- Develop a comprehensive workforce planning process to meet the current and future staffing needs of the company.
- Develop and implement effective comprehensive compensation and benefits plans that are competitive, cost-effective, and culturally appropriate in each of Spellman’s sites.
- Develop effective performance management and talent vitality processes including goal setting, performance appraisals, individual development plans, and skill-based training.
- Ensures compliance with employment, benefits, insurance, safety, and other laws, regulations, and requirements where Spellman operates.
- Collaborate with VP of Professional Development to expand mentoring and coaching programs, upgrade leadership development, and optimize DEI initiatives.
- Strong functional background across all general areas of HR (e.g., international recruiting, organizational development, talent vitality, and employee relations).
- Empathic and cares deeply about understanding and developing people.
- Deep awareness and sensitivity to cultural and language differences.
- Excellent written, verbal, and non-verbal communication skills.
- Keen ability to translate complex corporate initiatives by creating relatable, clear messages that resonate with audiences at all levels of the global organization.
- Able to resolve conflict by helping participants actively listen to and understand different perspectives and use that understanding to craft creative solutions.
- Can develop and manage complex projects.
- Is an effective change agent.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Builds trusting relationships by demonstrating a high level of integrity, candor, and authenticity, and by prioritizing needs of the organization over the individual.
- Global mindset and commitment to establishing a diverse workforce, and an equitable and inclusive culture.
- Significant experience and understanding of family owned and managed businesses, a plus.
- Additional language skills, a plus.
Additional Position Requirements:
- Based in Hauppauge, NY
- Up to 30% international travel annually
Education and Experience:
- MA/MS/PhD or equivalent experience in Human Resources or related field.
- A minimum of 15 years of HR experience, with at least 10 years of executive HR experience and at least 5 years of global and multi-cultural HR experience.
- Knowledge of North America, Europe, and Asia workforces preferred in engineering, manufacturing, or industries where there are strong compliance or regulatory requirements.
- Strong knowledge of global employment-related laws, practices, processes, and regulations.
- Extensive experience with global human resource information systems and HR metrics (HRIS).