Electrical Design Engineer
Spellman High Voltage Electronics Corporation is the world’s leading manufacturer of high voltage power supply, X-Ray generator and Monoblock® X-Ray sources. Our products power medical diagnostic imaging, scientific research equipment, airline security systems, food and consumer product scanners, and intercontinental communications. Spellman’s power sources enable the improvement, and saving, of lives.
- Design and develop of high voltage (100kV Plus) power supplies for X-ray generators and, including hardware and software related to the generator.
- Perform modeling and simulation for power converters and circuit analysis using simulation software platforms e.g. PSpice, LTSpice, MATLAB
- Understanding of engineering physics and high voltage design such as: arc detection, corona discharge, transformer magnetics, X-Ray generation, high frequency, and radiation safety.
- Conduct regulatory conformal testing on custom high voltage generators and create a report to be submitted to the regulatory compliance agency such UL/CE/NFC to obtain certification.
- Plan and perform black box/ white box firmware validation and Human Machine Graphical Interface (HMGI) testing.
- Test and validate new X-Ray tube topology by measuring focal spot size, X-Ray beam angle, radiation coverage and dark current.
- Write and maintain technical documents such as acceptance test procedure, prototype documentation, and custom X-Ray generator technical user interface manuals and support test technicians, assemblers, manufacturing department to answer any questions/concerns on new and existing products and procedures.
- Work on new OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) custom HV DC (100kV Plus) X-Ray tube power sources to fulfill hi-tech customer requirements from design, verification, validation of specification, testing and documentation.
- Write or co-author white papers to be presented at trade shows or published in trade magazines.
- Issue engineering change notice, deviations and design reviews reports based on failure analysis, customer feedback and new development release.
- Work with sales and marketing team in answering customer questions during new opportunity and specification development.
- Support quality team on corrective action and preventive action plans and conduct annual ISO and EMS audits in collaboration with the quality team as internal auditor.
- Conduct training on the products for overall design, testing, troubleshooting for new and existing customers.
- Work with cross functional team members in other Spellman sites such as Mexico, Japan and Hauppauge.
- Read technical drawings, schematics in AutoCAD, Altium, P-CAD and issue changes as required.
- Continuously re-train for certification in X-Ray topology, imaging techniques, power electronics to keep current with evolving technologies and trends in NDT systems, applications,
- Occasionally travel to customer sites as required for technical product / application support for installation or trouble shooting.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering & minimum of 2 years of experience in the power electronic HV (100kV+) switch-mode power supplies for X-Ray generators. Or BSEE with 5 years’ experience.
- In depth understanding of power conversion principles, power converter topologies and devices such as IGBTs, MOSFETs, transformer design, and encapsulation/insulating material.
- Understanding of analog and digital electronics with some hands-on experience using circuit simulation with software such as LTSpice, PSpice, MATLAB and Digital control of inverters or other power conversion control techniques.
- Ability to read schematics, electrical and mechanical drawings, PCB layouts and BOMs.
- Prior experience in developing products for regulatory compliance (UL/CE) and quality standards (ISO 9001/EMS 14001).
- Proficient in written, verbal communication skill with proven problem solving, troubleshooting, analytical skill set with willingness to work with global customers across global time zones.
- Willingness to operate in a high energy, fast paced environment with minimal direction.
- Knowledge of X-Ray tube topology and X-Ray imaging capabilities will be a plus.
- Familiar with Microsoft office package, AutoCAD, Pad, PSpice software.
Working conditions are normal for engineering environment. Work involves lifting of materials and products up to 50 pounds. Machinery operation requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots and hardhats. Will be working with units producing high voltages, and also produce x-rays. Loose fitting clothes and jewelry are not permitted.
We at Spellman High Voltage Electronics Corporation believe that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status or disability. The right of equal employment
opportunity extends to recruiting, hiring selection, transfer, promotion, training and all other conditions of employment.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Spellman High Voltage Electronics does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Spellman High Voltage Electronics employee. Spellman High Voltage Electronics will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of Spellman High Voltage Electronics and will be processed accordingly.