Transformer/Coil Winding Technician
Spellman High Voltage Electronics Corporation is the world’s leading manufacturer of high voltage power supply, X-Ray generator and Monoblock® X-Ray sources. Our products power medical diagnostic imaging, scientific research equipment, airline security systems, food and consumer product scanners, and intercontinental communications. Spellman’s power sources enable the improvement, and saving, of lives.
Winding and build of prototype transformers to provisional engineering drawings providing
feedback and improvements for eventual production release.
Analysis of failed transformers to provide root cause failure analysis.
Operation and basic maintenance of the transformer winding machine.
Due to the varying prototype build requirements, this position may be required to perform
prototype mechanical/assembly work in addition to transformer winding.
• Inspecting materials for example, copper wire, bobbins, ferrite cores, insulation tape
etc. prior to start of each project
• Use of calibrated measuring tools such as micrometres, vernier callipers etc.
• Programming, set up, operating, and controlling a coil winding machine
• Carry out a transformer winding and manufacturing process from start to finish
• Determine necessary mandrel size to meet winding window in accordance with drawing requirements
• Wind a transformer within the margins in accordance with drawing requirements
• Start and finish transformer leads in locations in accordance with drawing requirements
• Read component descriptions on Engineering BOM and physically identify the characteristic of the components
• Communicate issues, concerns and/or questions to his or her Manager and/or the project Design Engineer
• Responsible for the accuracy of time charging on job performed
• Responsible for keeping his or her work area clean and well organized
• Able to pass soldering test and be certified in IPC J-STD-001
• Ensure familiarisation and adherence to the Company’s ISO 9001 Quality, ISO14001
Environmental and ISO45001 Health and Safety management systems including workmanship standards
• Commit to achieving the Company’s business, Continuous Improvement program, quality, environmental, Health and Safety objectives
• Maintain good housekeeping standards (6S) and continuously seek new ‘green’ opportunities and suggest ways the business can improve
• Experience of working in a manufacturing environment for at least 3 years
• Previous experience of coil/ transformer winding would be an advantage
• Ability to follow formal procedures and methodologies in accordance with ISO 9001 and read engineering drawings
• Computer literacy including Microsoft Office
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Good team member with the ability to work and communicate effectively with design engineers and technicians
The above responsibilities are not exhaustive and you may be required to fulfil other duties and responsibilities from time to time for which you are reasonably qualified.