Director of Embedded Systems
Spellman High Voltage Electronics Corporation is the world’s leading manufacturer of high voltage power supply, X-Ray generators and Monoblock® X-Ray sources. Our products power medical diagnostic imaging, scientific research equipment, airline security systems, food and consumer product scanners, and intercontinental communications. Spellman’s power sources enable the improvement, and saving, of lives.
As a part of our continuous focus on offering high performance and cutting-edge products and solutions to our markets, the field of advanced power conversion, power management and controls, embedded systems is of strategic and critical importance. In this context, Spellman High Voltage Electronics Corp. is seeking a highly talented, motivated, creative, and experienced engineering leader in the field of embedded systems in the field of Power Electronics, Power Management and Digital Controls, to include development, testing and validation.
For this highly skilled and hands-on Engineering leadership role, our expectations are: In addition to managing the day-to-day activities of a growing team of 7 highly skilled embedded systems engineers,
- to focus on the design, development, implementation, testing, and documentation of complex firmware and software to be used in high voltage power supplies in all our markets and applications of interest,
- interfacing and supporting our global engineering community as needed, as well as,
- supporting the business development and sales teams on all applicable matters.
Further, in this role, people management / soft skills, coaching and mentoring, as well as a deep understanding of RTOS and bare metal firmware are all key requirements to be successful in this role.
- Oversight of all Embedded Systems development activities for all Spellman products and platforms and all associated R&D: Technical direction, workload management, prioritization, provide day-to-day technical expertise to teammates
- Project Planning for firmware/software development needs
- Oversight of all firmware and software design for sophisticated high voltage power supplies (HVPS). Languages used (C, Verilog, VHDL, Assembly, C, C#, VB6, Java, WPF) and firmware development based on RTOS.
- Interface with peers in the Engineering team to implement features desired as described in product and application requirements.
- Oversight of the preparation of all technical documentation, such as circuit diagrams, manuals, technical reports, release documentation etc.
- Support the review and interpretation of internal/external customer requirements
- Oversee and improve the FW and SW release process, to include the use of revision control systems such as Tortoise SVN
- Continuous Research of latest concepts as it pertains to Embedded Systems: Development including DSP’s, MCU’s, FPGA’s, CPLD’s, SOM.
Leadership and managerial
- Provide local and day-to-day leadership expertise and coaching to our highly skilled, energetic and dynamic Embedded Systems/Digital engineering team in Hauppauge, NY
- Interface with the company’s global engineering, sales & Marketing, operations, and quality teams among others, in support of common projects and overall company strategy
- Develop and implement Embedded Systems Engineering strategies for current and future product and technology development projects based on the company’s overall objectives
- Drive and build an engineering culture of high performance and provide the corresponding role model through leadership by example
- Take a hands-on approach to leading the Embedded Systems Engineering team with a focus on project planning and management, risk assessment and mitigation, staff development and customer satisfaction.
- Lead a lean and risk management-based execution of product design and development projects ranging from new product and technology development to existing product sustainability (to include performance, quality, reliability, and cost improvements)
- Support the Sales & Marketing team and work directly with customers to identify product needs, application details, and product requirements and provide support and technical expertise to pre- and post-sales teams as well as application engineering professionals.
- Coordinate priorities and business needs with the Manufacturing and Quality departments and drive a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
- Plan and formulate engineering programs and organize project teams according to project requirements and priorities.
- Participate in and contribute to strategic discussions regarding products, markets, and technology/product road-mapping.
- Review product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements and applicable specifications (industry standards and homologation requirements).
- Lead and oversee product design reviews and provide applicable approval for design changes, specifications, and Software/Firmware releases among others per Spellman engineering product development processes.
- Ensure project execution is completed in a timely fashion within allotted project budget.
- Ensure compliance with all Spellman and other governing security regulations
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Electrical Engineering and 15+ years demonstrated experience in hands-on product and technology development in the power conversion and management (power electronics field). High voltage X-ray power conversion technology experience is very highly desired.
- Extensive knowledge of power electronics, power conversion, analog circuit design and functional knowledge of magnetic design principles, both low and high voltage is preferred
- 7+ years leading an engineering team in a global company with a preference for direct exposure to a manufacturing environment,
- Demonstrated leadership abilities with a focus on tactical as well as strategic business aspects
- Demonstrated ability to identify and enhance the strengths of team members, coaching, motivating, and directing as needed
- Commitment to fostering high performance, and an environment of open collaboration and teamwork
- Flexible, customer focused orientation with an eye on successful and seamless project execution as well as on the strategic needs of the company
- Passionate about collaborating with other company teams in a multidisciplinary environment (sales and marketing, operations, quality, supply chain), customers…etc. to drive a continuous and strong focus on value creation
- Excellent project management skills and knowledge of other engineering design and analysis tools in the field of power conversion, power management, digital and analog control.
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally (approximately 10%)