The medium-sized company Spellman High Voltage Electronics GmbH, based in Bochum, which is a a wholly owned subsidiary of Spellman High Voltage Electronics Corporation, based in Hauppauge, New York, in the United States, develops, produces and sells high-frequency X-Ray generators and supplies imaging systems for the general medical X-Ray market. Spellman High Voltage Electronics Corp. is a leading manufacturer of high voltage power supplies and X-ray generators with offices in Germany, the United States, England, China and Mexico.
The medium-sized company Spellman High Voltage Electronics GmbH, based in Bochum, develops, produces and sells high-frequency X-ray generators and supplies imaging systems for the general medical X-ray market.
For this critical role, our expectations are to focus on both the tactical as well as the strategic objectives not only at our Bochum office, but also globally. The strategic aspects include providing guidance and coaching to the engineering team in Bochum, setting goals for the team in the context of Spellman’s global strategic objectives, leading and overseeing product and technology development programs, interfacing with the company’s global engineering and business leaders, hiring engineers and setting project priorities. The technical aspect includes direct and active expertise contributions to the execution of our product and technology development activities from planning to final product delivery.
- Provide local and day-to-day leadership expertise and coaching to our energetic and dynamic engineering team in Bochum, Germany
- Interface with the company’s global engineering, sales & Marketing, operations, and quality teams among others, in support of common projects and overall company strategy
- Develop and implement German Engineering strategies for current and future product and technology development projects based on the company’s overall objectives and resources: Focus on high-voltage X-Ray imaging in the medical market is a top priority
- Drive and build an engineering culture of high performance and provide the corresponding role model through leadership by example
- Take a hands-on approach to leading the Bochum Engineering team with a focus on project planning and management, risk assessment and mitigation, staff development and customer satisfaction.
- Lead a lean and risk management-based execution of product design and development projects ranging from new product and technology development to existing product sustainability (to include performance, quality, reliability, and cost improvements)
- Support the Sales & Marketing team and work directly with customers to identify product needs, application details, and product requirements and provide support and technical expertise to pre- and post-sales teams as well as application engineering professionals.
- Coordinate priorities and business needs with the Manufacturing and Quality departments and drive a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
- Plan and formulate engineering programs and organize project teams according to project requirements and priorities.
- Participate in and contribute to strategic discussions regarding products, markets, and technology developments.
- Review product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements and applicable specifications (industry standards and homologation requirements).
- Lead and oversee product design reviews and provide applicable approval for design changes, specifications, and drawing releases among others per Spellman engineering product development processes.
- Ensure project execution is completed in a timely fashion within allotted project budget.
- Ensure compliance with all Spellman and other governing security regulations
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Electrical Engineering
- 10+ years demonstrated experience in hands-on product and technology development in the power conversion and management (power electronics field). High voltage X-ray power conversion technology experience is very highly desired.
- Experience in medical device and regulatory preferred
- Extensive knowledge of power electronics, power conversion, analog circuit design and functional knowledge of magnetic design principles, both low and high voltage is preferred
- 5+ years leading an engineering team in a global company with a preference for direct exposure to a manufacturing environment,
- Fluency in English and German
- Demonstrated leadership abilities with a focus on tactical as well as strategic business aspects
- Demonstrated ability to identify and enhance the strengths of team members, coaching, motivating, and directing as needed
- Commitment to fostering high performance, and an environment of open collaboration and teamwork
- Flexible, customer focused orientation with an eye on successful and seamless project execution as well as on the strategic needs of the company
- Passionate about collaborating with other company teams in a multidisciplinary environment (sales and marketing, operations, quality, supply chain), customers…etc. to drive a continuous and strong focus on value creation
- Excellent project management skills and knowledge of other engineering design and analysis tools in the field of power conversion, power management, digital and analog control.
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally (approximately 10%)