Senior Production Editor
Sourcebooks is a fast-growing entrepreneurial company seeking impact players and difference makers. We create books that transcend categories and defy odds; with hundreds of national bestsellers and awards to show for it. We are a company of enthusiastic, book-loving employees who are dedicated to connecting books to readers in new and innovative ways. Every day, we are transforming the publishing industry with bold thinking and unprecedented results. Story by story, book by book, we have touched over 100 million lives. Join us as we strive to change 100 million more.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Production Editor to join our production department. The Senior Production Editor (SPE) will manage approximately fifty titles per year, from manuscript turnover through final close; including full schedule ownership and task coordination.
- The SPE coordinates and regulates all copyediting, proofreading and indexing, amongst other manuscript detailing and cleanup
- Manage workflow of projects through all production stages, hitting benchmark dates or projecting new benchmarks as needed
- Communicate project details to all relevant parties, including editorial and author, design, manufacturing, sales, and marketing
- Hire and supervise freelance vendors for copyediting, proofreading, and indexing, providing detailed guidance and structured feedback to simultaneously strengthen vendor partners.
- Work closely with remote offices, captaining the exchange of materials and developing and improving processes as to needed to create and maintain efficient production
- Head committees as needed to modify/create/improve processes for new or existing products or workflows
- Serve as a lead expert in a given genre imprint, fully understanding the ins and outs of that imprint’s key managers, readers, and processes
- Manage special projects and additional assignments as assigned by the managing editor
- 2-3 years of experience in manuscript styling, publishing production, including project management and a thorough knowledge of the bookmaking process
- High-level copyediting and proofreading knowledge
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style
- Superb attention to detail and deadlines
- Exceptional written and verbal communication with multiple stakeholders, including satellite office staff and freelancers, and a clear ability to communicate with high-ranking offices and stakeholders
- Able to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic publishing environment without sacrificing quality for deadline
- Experience with checking ebook files, including hyperlinks (cross references, key terms, index locators, footnotes, etc.)
- Proficiency with Filemaker Pro, Microsoft Office (including track changes), and Adobe Acrobat (including PDF markup) and other Adobe Creative Suite applications