Senior Editor - Children's and Young Readers
Sourcebooks, an independent publishing house based in Naperville, IL, and with a midtown NYC office, is creating significant growth because our employees share a belief that books change lives, that hard work and cooperation create momentum, and that new marketplace realities require an entrepreneurial, innovative, and flexible mentality. If you share those beliefs, come drive innovation and growth with us!
We are seeking a dynamic, author-focused, forward-thinking acquisitions and development editor to join our children’s and young reader imprints as a Senior Editor. We seek a senior editor with acquisitions experience, established agency and packager contacts, and interest across the children’s book spectrum, from board and picture book through chapter book and middle grade. The Senior Editor will have direct responsibility for acquiring and developing titles in the Sourcebooks Jabberwocky and Sourcebooks Young Readers imprints, including list management, communication, and all acquisitions and development functions.
An outstanding Senior Editor will:
- In conjunction with the Editorial Director and Assistant Publisher, you will be responsible for long-range planning and list management of Sourcebooks Jabberwocky and Sourcebooks Young Reader (learn more about the imprints here: https://www.sourcebooks.com/books.html)
- Working with authors, agents, licensors, and other parties to identify the BEST manuscripts for publication!
- Constantly analyze the marketplace by keeping a pulse on our competitors and providing real-time targeted solutions
- Present potential titles at our acquisitions meetings, propose new titles, recruit authors, screen author proposals, conduct contract negotiations in conjunction with legal
- Position new products in the marketplace with that includes content, category, title, subtitle, physical packaging, design packaging, marketing copy, etc.
- Develop manuscripts for content, structure, correctness, readability, and positioning, and vet all books for accuracy and quality
The ideal candidate possess:
- Be a self-starter. Exhibiting initiative, leadership, and a strong desire to grow in book and product development.
- Play well with others. Seriously, we’re a hard-working team who also happen to be pretty nice.
- Juggle and coordinate. We want a clear communicator who is detail-oriented, organized and can keep short- and long-term projects on schedules while following through on deadlines.
- 5 – 7 years’ experience editing both picture books and novels.
- Love books. This is a must.
If you are interested in being part of this creatively driven, growing team, please send a cover letter of interest, salary requirements, and a resume.
Sourcebooks, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.