Acquisitions Editor (Adult)
We are seeking an outstanding individual to join our editorial department as an Acquiring Editor. The editor will provide project and content development of adult nonfiction books and execute a variety of projects for our senior acquisitions team. This growth position allows the employee to make a significant contribution to the adult nonfiction list, sharpen project management and positioning skills, and work with remarkable authors while supporting various department functions and book and product lines.
- Identify, solicit and acquire manuscripts for publication in adult nonfiction categories
- Substantive development of narrative and prescriptive adult nonfiction within the Sourcebooks imprint, as well as other titles as assigned
- All copyediting, database management, and manuscript preparation responsibilities associated with bringing a book to print and digital formats
- Act as key liaison between acquisitions editorial and content delivery departments, set schedules and meet aggressive deadlines
- Conduct industry and market research to determine marketplace trends, project strength, and competitive positioning
- Write catalog, jacket, and marketing copy, and manage updating of data and content to company databases
- Coordinate activities for authors and project lines with sales, marketing, and production/design
- Manage author, client, agent, and third-party relationships, ensuring proactive, positive, accurate communication
- Serve as an instrumental part of acquisitions and development team, offering suggestions for new ideas, concepting partnerships and projects, and delivering readers books that both inform and delight
We are looking for an editor who is ready to create and manage opportunities for growth. The ideal candidate will:
- Have 3-5 years of editorial experience at an established publisher.
- Be a self-starter. Exhibiting initiative, leadership, and a strong desire to grow in book and product development.
- Play well with others. Seriously, we’re a hard-working team who also happen to be pretty nice.
- Juggle and coordinate. We want a clear communicator who is detail-oriented, organized and can keep short- and long-term projects on schedules while following through on deadlines.
- Love books. This is a must.
If you are interested in being a part of this creatively driven, growing team, please submit a cover letter of interest and include your salary requirements.
Sourcebooks is working on creating the next generation of a book publishing company. We thrive on our collaborative culture and are guided by the talents, passions, and innovations of more than 140 enthusiastic book-loving employees who are dedicated to finding new ways to connect with authors, readers, and ideas. We publish more than 350 new titles each year and are honored to have 75+ New York Times bestsellers. We are doing some great things and plan to do more!
Sourcebooks is an equal opportunity employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities.