General Counsel/Head of Legal
Competitive + Benefits
This an exciting opportunity to join the in-house legal team at Softcat. We are a small, friendly, and supportive team based in Softcat’s Manchester office, but we work closely with colleagues across all our Softcat locations. We cover a wide range of commercial work across our public and private sector customer base and the corresponding supplier and distribution network.
Success. The Softcat way.
It’s an exciting time to be at Softcat, one of the UK’s most successful technology solutions businesses. We’ve reached the £1 billion revenue milestone, opened our first offices outside of the UK, and picked up a series of industry awards. We’ve got even bigger plans for the future. So, if you share our drive and ambition, get ready to achieve more from your career. We are Softcat, and we help customers to use technology to succeed, by putting our employees first.
We are looking for a Commercial Solicitor who can provide pragmatic, commercial, and jargon-free legal advice to colleagues at all levels of the business.
You’ll be experienced in working within a small team without the resources of a private practice lawyer, or knowledgeable enough to work on this basis. You will be supervised by a senior solicitor with additional support and training from our General Counsel but will need to be able to work with a large degree of autonomy. You’ll also need to be able to work flexibly and effectively to manage a varied workload and respond to changing priorities.
What we need from you
You’ll have a proven background in providing advice on, and the negotiation of, customer and supplier contracts (including data processing provisions), ideally in the IT industry (although applicants from other backgrounds with solid commercial experience will not be rejected on that basis).
Required skills, experience and qualifications:
- Solicitor qualified in England and Wales with 2-4 PQE (or equivalent)
- Experience of working with commercial contracts, including drafting, preparation, review and amendment; conducting negotiations; and advising on the effect of legal provisions
- Experience of advising on data protection provisions, including data processing/sharing agreements
- Sound technical understanding of contract and tort law
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Confidence to work on own caseload with limited supervision and ability to work under pressure
- Experience of providing supervision and legal training
- Enthusiasm for what we do and a willingness to take responsibility for ensuring legal knowledge is up-to-date and ongoing professional development
- In-house experience (through employment or secondment opportunities) or otherwise able to demonstrate a good understanding of the challenges faced by in-house lawyers and how to overcome them
Further skills, experience and qualifications which would be beneficial (but not essential):
- Experience of public sector procurement, including the operation of framework agreements
- Experience in the IT sector and/or IP law
- Experience of contract disputes and pre-litigation dispute resolution
- Experience of advising on the impact of Brexit on commercial transactions, including data processing
- Experience of advising on contracts in other jurisdictions, including Ireland, Singapore and the USA
- Experience of implementing process changes
Benefits include a pension scheme, life assurance, healthcare cash plan and access to Perklife, our dedicated portal for all things perks and benefits at Softcat. It’s designed to give you the flexibility and choice to suit your lifestyle and needs - there really is something for everyone. So whether it’s activity passes or technology discount vouchers you’re after, or you would prefer to buy extra holiday for yourself, or add your partner or family to some of the benefits… it’s entirely up to you. We’ll even give you an extra day’s holiday on top of your usual entitlement on your birthday.
To become part of the success story, please apply below.
Softcat is an inclusive company where you can enjoy the career you want, without changing the person you are. We’re welcoming to all and passionate about promoting greater diversity in the tech sector.