Director, Software Engineering
Who we are:
SoFi is a digital personal finance company whose mission is to help its members achieve financial independence to realize their ambitions, whether that be to buy a house one day, start a family on their own terms or be debt free. We aim to be at the center of our members’ financial lives, and to help every member Get Their Money Right®. By joining SoFi, you’ll become part of a forward-thinking company that is transforming financial services by embracing technology to build innovative loan products, investment tools, and more. One of the fastest growing fintech companies, we’ve grown from 250 employees in 2015 to over 1,500 employees today, and are well on our way to reaching 1 million members. With offices across the US, we offer the excitement of a rapidly growing startup with the stability of a seasoned management team and some of the best talent around. As an employer, we strive to hire employees who are committed to both our company’s mission and our desire to build the best culture in the world. If you are driven, passionate about what you do, and excited about the SoFi mission, we would love to hear from you.
In this position, working with other teams, you will lead a team of software engineers to help us shape and drive the future of SoFi Loans products. You will be responsible for not only the delivery of the features/services that your team produces but also in understanding how those features (and experiments) are performing for our customers and the business over time.
You will lead your team to design software, processes, quality, and automation solutions in an effort to deliver game changing experiences and capabilities for our customers. The ideal leader is someone who is humble, hungry and smart and likes to get into the details. They will be one who can inspire development teams, operates their service smoothly, and ensures that software is delivered at a high-quality bar.
What you'll do:
- Lead a high-performing development team to design, implement and operate key portions of the SoFi Loans products
- Lead the organization through continued expansion, production delivery, and a sustained high pace of new feature development.
- Collaborate closely with Product Management on features to ensure that the possible product is delivered to SoFi customers
- Lead the organization through continued expansion, production delivery and a sustained high pace of new feature development.
- Mentor and grow technical talent on the team while ensuring a high-quality culture is maintained on the team
- Make critical decisions regarding technology selection, balance of feature and operational priorities, and setting high standards for quality and on-time delivery
- Define and execute against meaningful performance and operational SLA’s that capture our customer experience
- Generate, enhance and promote ideas for useful new projects and technologies
What you'll need:
- Computer Science Degree or equivalent from a fully-accredited college or university preferred
- 8+ years with Java (or another Object-Oriented Programming language) experience
- 6+ years prior experience in an engineering people management position, including 2+ years experience managing multiple teams / managers or leads.
- Experience managing teams operating across multiple offices.
- Working knowledge of Web development
- Familiarity w/AWS and at-scale services
- Solid understanding of relational databases (MySQL or Postgres)
- Ability to work in a fast paced and Agile development environment
- Work and play well with others; SoFi is a collaborative environment
Nice to have:
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering with 10+ years of relevant software development and engineering management experience
- Financial services experience.
Why you’ll love working here:
- Competitive salary packages and bonuses
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits
- Generous vacation and holidays
- Paid parental leave for eligible employees
- 401(k) and education on retirement planning
- Tuition reimbursement on approved programs
- Monthly contribution up to $200 to help you pay off your student loans
- Great health & well-being benefits including: telehealth parental support, subsidized gym program
- Employer paid lunch program (except for remote employees)
- Fully stocked kitchen (snacks and drinks)
SoFi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, breastfeeding, and conditions related to breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, age (40 or over), physical or medical disability, medical condition, marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military and/or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable state or federal law.
SoFi does not seek salary history information from job applicants.