Data Integration Architect
Socrata, now the Data & Insights Division of Tyler Technology, helps governments use data more strategically and effectively in the design and delivery of their programs and missions. Our data platform and cloud-based solutions support the world’s most ambitious data programs at every level of government. Our customers include the US Federal Government; half of the US states and most major US cities and counties.
Socrata is addressing multiple interconnected markets, supporting innovative customers around the world, and solving some of the hardest technical challenges at the intersection of Big Data, analytics, visualization, and the cloud.
We are looking for an experienced Data Integration Architect. This person will work with internal partners, clients and developers to brainstorming and evaluating technical solutions, product integration opportunities and demonstrations. This is a role that requires creative thinking, a deep understanding of data/ the power of data, empathy for partner/client challenges and pain points. This person needs to work hand-in-hand at a strategic level with their colleagues in Product Development, and other Tyler divisions as well as in other departments, around a specified set of targeted software partnerships, integrations, and solutions we are pursuing and incubating. This is a technical role but also requires a diverse range of consultative, project management and partner/client sales skills.
The primary focus of this role is to identify and demonstrate opportunities on how the Socrata platform can best support the way public sector organizations share data with their audiences, internal employees and other agencies. The work with partners/clients includes full projects as well as paid pilots and proofs of concept. A POC or pilot is aligning the Socrata platform with a partner's and/or client’s vision, mission or program, which requires technical configuration, data transformation and solution creation.
The ideal candidate to fill the Data Integration Architect role will be:
- 1/3 technical solutions developer / consultant: working closely with partner and clients to execute on opportunities. This includes leading paid, multi-month client engagements in which the Socrata Platform will be configured to meet specific client goals and objectives;
- 1/3 application and platform evangelist and demonstrator: creating tailored proof of concepts and demonstrations that showcase the breadth and depth of the Socrata Platform;
- 1/3 client and partner advocate: creating and nurturing strong partner and client relationships with each engagement in order to ensure satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop scalable technical solutions that enable easy integrations between the Socrata Connected Government Cloud and partner data platforms.
- Create and conduct demonstrations of Socrata products and services around Socrata Connected Government Cloud.
- Identify new opportunities and solutions that meet the needs of current and prospective partners and clients.
- Partner with clients, partners and Socrata sales executives to define the scope of work for successful proofs of concepts and pilots.
- Lead the pilot process and PoC, especially during the first month, in which the lion’s share of the technical configuration, data transformation and solution creation take place. Run the pilot as a project for its duration, including scheduling and leading weekly status meetings with the client.
- Help clients present their data in the most widely accessible and useful forms, including but not limited to: transforming it from its native relational architecture to a more consumption-optimized (“flatter”) architecture; decoding type codes; splitting, combining and/or concatenating data; cleaning up metadata; creating data visualizations including charts and maps; telling stories of outcome and impact with data and creating lightweight data exploration experiences.
- Attend feasibility meetings with new partners and clients to assess the feasibility of using the Socrata platform to meet their additional needs beyond their original purpose.
- Update the extended Socrata organizations with activities, progress and potential opportunities verbally, in regular status meetings and by demonstrating excellent attention to detail and sales hygiene.
- Develop & manage quality documentation of new and existing integrations to facilitate the reuse, broad adoption and scaling of those solutions.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Undergraduate degree in a technical, relevant field of work or commensurate industry experience is required; Master’s degree or relevant industry experience is preferred.
- Ability to perform data transformations using data extract, transform and load (ETL) tools and/or by writing scripts in interpreted languages such as perl, python, ruby or php.
- Comfort and familiarity developing web applications incorporating public APIs is preferred.
- Professional experience as a sales engineer or technical sales consultant working for a company selling sophisticated data-centric software such as business intelligence software, data visualization software, relational database management systems, data integration and/or ETL tools.
- Off the charts passion for delivering elegantly-designed and well-performing products and services that delight clients.
- Ability to communicate at both a technical and a business level, developing trust and confidence by a wide variety of individuals within a client organization.
- Ability to “think on your feet” and comfortable architecting creative solutions to data sharing problems by adapting and configuring the Socrata platform to meet unique client needs. Ability to articulately talk through and whiteboard these concepts and approaches with clients.
- Familiar working with public sector organizations is strongly desired.
- Ability to create beautiful data visualizations including charts and maps using the Socrata platform.
- Familiarity with content management systems such as Drupal or WordPress.
- Ability to focus, balance trade-offs, work within constraints and make good decisions, including managing multiple projects simultaneously, is required.
- Comfortable conducting client trainings of Socrata’s administration and data publishing features.
- Detail oriented including the ability to take good notes, keep a complete and accurate schedule, accurately keep track of hours spent and activities performed on each client project.
- Self-directed, self-motivated and ability to work independently.
- Travel is expected for conferences as well as for client / partner engagements.
How We Act
How we act with each other and our clients embodies the core values and our code of conduct:
- We value big ideas and creative execution
- We build open and honest relationships
- We are results driven and accountable
- We celebrate success together
- We aspire to be remarkable
- We take individual responsibility for the success of every client
Competitive salary including a 401K with employer match, employee stock purchase plan as well great health benefits are offered. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply right here!
Our mission at Socrata, the Data & Insights Division of Tyler Technologies, is to help government use data more strategically and effectively in the design and delivery of their programs and missions.
Our data as a service platform and cloud-based solutions support the world’s most ambitious open data programs and internal data sharing programs at every level of government. Our clients include the US Federal Government; half of the US states and most major US cities and counties. Some of our amazing clients include states like New York, Texas, Massachusetts and Utah; cities like Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York; Federal agencies like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), US Department of Commerce, the US Department of Transportation and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services! Our select few non-governmental clients are ones with influence over government data policy, including the World Bank, the United Nations and the European Commission.
Socrata is about to embark on its next stage of robust growth as part of Tyler Technologies. On April 30, 2018, Tyler Technologies (NYSE:TYL), the leading provider of end-to-end information management solutions and services for local governments acquired Socrata, the market leader in making existing government data discoverable, usable, and actionable for government workers and the people they serve. The potential to layer Socrata’s powerful data technology on top of Tyler’s mission-critical line of business systems in more than 15,000 local government organizations will allow Socrata to provide data and insights on a scale that has the opportunity to fundamentally change the way local government understands their operations, uses their resources and serves their constituents.
Now is the time join Socrata – the Data & Insights Division at Tyler - and change your career trajectory!
Tyler Technologies (NYSE: TYL) is a leading provider of end-to-end information management solutions and services for local governments. Tyler partners with clients to empower the public sector - cities, counties, schools and other government entities - to become more efficient, more accessible and more responsive to the needs of their constituents. Tyler's client base includes more than 15,000 local government offices in all 50 states, Canada, the Caribbean, Australia, and other international locations. In 2017, Forbes ranked Tyler on its "Most Innovative Growth Companies" list, and Fortune included Tyler on its "100 Fastest-Growing Companies" list. Headquartered in Plano, Texas, Tyler has more than 4,200 employees in multiple divisional and regional offices across the U.S. You can learn more about Tyler Technologies at www.tylertech.com.
The Data & Insights Division employs 130 team members, and is headquartered in a vibrant and creative workspace in Seattle, WA. You can learn more about this amazing, new division of Tyler at https://www.tylertech.com/products/socrata.
Tyler Technologies is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Tyler Technologies will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Tyler Technologies encourages applicants of all ages.
At the Data & Insights division of Tyler, we aspire to be remarkable: in the culture we create, the products we build, and the services we deliver. We believe a diverse team that embodies many different backgrounds and experiences is necessary for us to be the best we can be. Within the division, we pursue a culture of inclusivity by identifying and removing aspects of our culture that stop people from being able to do the best work of their lives in physical and emotional safety, while being their authentic selves. We seek diversity, equity, and inclusion across our organization and in our daily work as individuals.
We understand change takes time and that we still have work to do, and we are committed to making continual progress.