Biologist / DNA Technical Specialist
SNA International, LLC, is a vibrant, growing company based in Alexandria, VA, and a world leader in forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence services. SNA's staff support high visibility forensic human identification operations, including staffing some of the US's largest federal forensic laboratories.
SNA International seeks a bright, collaborative and innovative Biologist / DNA Technical Specialist with a strong work ethic to join our team and work together in pursuit of the same cause: build a safe and just world by empowering organizations in the use of forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence.
Qualified candidates in this role will have the ability to utilize their scientific, analytical, and statistical background to test new forensic biology products and analytical procedures, recommend solutions to problems encountered when applying these procedures or products on sample materials, and assist in the training of new methods.
The following list is representative of the types of activities and responsibilities anticipated to be performed, but are not limited to:
- Perform work analyzing body fluids and / or other human tissues using DNA analysis or other biological/chemical methods.
- Perform laboratory techniques using polymerase chain reaction (PCR), Sanger sequencing, and massively parallel sequencing (MSP) to test and evaluate methods used in the individualization of persons with DNA analysis.
- Review procedure modifications and upgrades to instrumentation and software to ensure reliable results.
- Conduct testing and evaluation of new and existing DNA / biological testing procedures and protocols.
- Prepare solutions, buffers, and reagents used in body fluid and human tissue identification techniques.
- Prepare detailed documentation.
- Ensure each analyses is performed correctly by conducting peer reviews on findings.
- Prepare scientific manuscripts and abstracts for publication and oral / poster presentation in scientific journals and at meetings.
- Perform routine maintenance and QC checks of reagents and equipment, as needed.
- Prepare purchase requests and interacts with purchasing personnel in support of QA and QC functions.
- Support activities, functions, or duties, as defined.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field of Biological Science
- One (1) year of experience performing research in a Biological science and a minimum of one (1) year of forensic human DNA laboratory experience.
- Must have knowledge of related sciences such as biochemistry, chemistry, physics, molecular biology, genetics, and mathematics.
- Possess knowledge of the uses of computers and the ability to manipulate data for basic statistic evaluation and display.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Should be proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities.
This position has an opening in Quantico, VA
Candidates must be US citizens and able to pass a background check, drug screening, and a polygraph (if required).
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that outlines why you should be considered for this position and position level. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
No phone calls
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.