Senior Platform Engineer
Senior Platform Engineer
Smarsh empowers its customers to manage the risk and unleash the intelligence in their digital communications. Our growing community of over 6500 organizations in regulated industries counts on Smarsh every day to help them spot compliance, legal or reputational risks in 80+ communication channels, before those risks become regulatory fines or headlines. Relentless innovation has fueled our journey to consistent leadership recognition from analysts like Gartner and Forrester, and our sustained, aggressive growth has landed Smarsh in the annual Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing American companies since 2008.
The PaaS (Platform as a Service) team is looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to join our team and help build our 1CP product (1 Cloud Platform). We are building a best in class platform that is used by Smarsh engineering teams to build, deliver, scale, operate, and secure applications across multiple IaaS and multiple cloud vendors.
- Attend and actively participate in team ceremonies (stand-ups, retros, and planning meetings).
- Coordinate efforts with globally dispersed teams.
- Document decisions regarding technology choices, best practices and process.
- Manage code bases using Smarsh engineering practices.
- Creatively solve problems in the SaaS Operations space, collaborating with SRE, Data Services, Delivery, and Engineering team members.
- Design and develop tools and libraries for broader use by SaaS Operations and Engineering teams.
- Actively change code within current production systems to resolve incidents and/or enhance operational performance, following Engineering process for code change.
- Lead and actively engage in architectural conversations and plans.
- Regularly pair with other Platform Engineers to develop tools and libraries and facilitate learning and best practices.
- Lead and actively engage in projects to implement enhancements to SaaS Operations and Smarsh products.
There is a 5% chance of travel. Specifically, during the on-boarding process you will be asked to spend time at one of the headquarter offices for Smarsh University. There is no regularly scheduled travel, and all travel will be organized in advance.
Education and Experience
- 5+ years industry experience
- BS in CS or equivalent
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Expertise and broad range of programming/scripting experience (i.e. Java, Python, Ruby, Go, etc.).
- Strong background in managing code with Git.
- Experience managing continuous integration systems (Pivotal Concourse).
- Experience with automated configuration management and deployment tools (Puppet, Chef, etc.).
- Background working in a multi-platform environment (Linux, Windows.).
- Experience with builds and packaging in a Linux/Java environment strongly preferred (Maven, rpm, etc.).
- Experience with containerization (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.).
- Experience building and operating Pivotal Platform.
- Experience with Elastics, S3, Ceph, Minio, and MongoDB data storage solutions.
- Experience leading small teams’ ceremonies (i.e. stand-ups, retros, and planning).
- Leadership with mentorship and educating less experienced engineers.
Smarsh hires lifelong learners with a passion for innovating with purpose, humility and humor. Collaboration is at the heart of everything we do. We work closely with the most popular communications platforms and the world’s leading cloud infrastructure platforms. We use the latest in AI/ML technology to help our customers break new ground at scale. We are a global organization that values diversity, and we believe that providing opportunities for everyone to be their authentic self is key to our success. Smarsh leadership, culture, and commitment to developing our people have all garnered Comparably.com Best Places to Work Awards. Come join us and find out what the best work of your career looks like.