Lead Incident Commander
Lead Incident Commander
Smarsh is the leader in communications compliance, archiving, and analytics. We provide compliance across the broadest set of communications channels with insights on what’s being captured. Smarsh customers manage over 500 million daily conversations across 80 channels and growing. Customers include the top 10 U.S., top 8 European, top 5 Canadian, and top 3 Asian banks. The Smarsh advantage is customers stay ahead of compliance and uncover patterns and relationships hidden within their data.
At Smash, we’ve been helping our customers manage new forms of communication since 1998. We work closely with regulators including the SEC, FINRA, IIROC, and the PRA and FCA, and with our customers, to ensure that they understand the capabilities of today’s technology and that our platform meets their most stringent requirements. Our products include Connected Capture, Connected Archive, Web Archive & Business Solutions.
The Incident Command job family is responsible for coordinating incident activities across multiple teams across multiple geographies. Incident Command team members have a goal to move incidents to resolution as fast as possible, with as much clarity as possible. Incident Command team members manage enterprise high priority incidents through effective process. They are accountable for driving Mean Time to Resolution down and customer satisfaction up. They must work closely with SRE and Technical Support teams to develop frameworks and training programs that support this outcome.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions below:
- Coordinate incident activities across multiple teams across multiple geographies with the goal of moving incidents to resolution as fast as possible, with as much clarity as possible, while learning as much as possible.
- Create effective process that drives Mean Time to Resolution down and customer satisfaction up.
- Avoid chaotic effort and confusing communication.
- Collaborate with SRE and Customer Support teams.
- Develop frameworks and a training program that build a global team of Incident Commanders capable of managing our enterprise high priority incidents.
- Build a team of incident commanders that are able to improve our quality of service as we grow.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional open office environment and at a remote home office. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
This is a full-time salary position. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
5% travel required for this position.
Education and Experience
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Strong experience in customer service and technical support in SaaS contexts.
- Previous experience with production incidents and customer and/or business communications.
- Proven track record of success in teaching and coordinating complex activities.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent coaching and training skills that can scale across a large and geographically distributed team.
- Familiarity and alignment with blameless postmortem philosophy.
- Ability to size-up a situation, assess the effectiveness of various tactics/strategies, and make rapid decisions on appropriate courses of action.
- Flexible and are able to listen to expert feedback, modifying plans on-the-fly as necessary.
- Has gravitas, takes command, and is willing to kick people off a call to remove distractions.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- A can-do attitude and sense of urgency for a high growth / fast paced environment.
- Curious mind, appetite to learn new technologies and how we can improve as a business through "unscheduled learning opportunities" or incidents.
- Able to galvanize teams around incidents and learning opportunities.
- Strong coordination and delegation skills which are executed through an empathetic lens focused on learning and improvement.