Seasonal Food Boxing and Emergency Services Supervisor
Position Description :
Title: Seasonal Food Boxing and Emergency Services Supervisor
Date: June - September 2020
Reports to: Food Boxing Coordinator
Starting Salary: $25.00 per hour
Location: This position will be based initially at 1560 Berger Drive, San Jose, CA 95112, but ultimate work locations will vary.
Schedule: Seasonal; Monday through Friday, either 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM or 3:00 PM to 9:30 PM with occasional weekend work
The San Jose Conservation Corps (SJCC) is currently seeking Seasonal Food Boxing and Emergency Services Supervisors to oversee teams of corpsmembers that are deployed to support food boxing operations at area food banks. This team leadership role will help SJCC and its partners ensure food is safely and efficiently boxed and distributed to local residents during this unprecedented Coronavirus pandemic. It will involve supervising, coaching, and motivating a team of approximately 10-20 corpsmembers in the successful execution of tasks as assigned by food bank managers. Additionally, the Seasonal Food Boxing and Emergency Services Supervisors will play a critical role in implementing SJCC and partner organization protocol relating to Coronavirus mitigation and ensuring a healthy and safe workplace.
Please note that this is a seasonal, temporary position. As of the time of this posting, the San Jose Conservation Corps is seeking seasonal staff to serve in this position throughout the summer. If SJCC's emergency service contract work is extended beyond that date, SJCC may extend the Seasonal Food Boxing and Emergency Services Supervisors’ tenure.
Food Boxing Operations
Lead corpsmembers in the execution of food boxing operations, potentially including:
- Tracking attendance and participation of corpsmembers;
- Transporting corpsmembers to assigned work site;
- Confirming daily tasks with partner site management and relaying instructions to corpsmembers;
- Leading food boxing assembly lines;
- Identifying, pulling, and staging containers of bulk foods for corpsmembers to box;
- Ensuring adherence to warehouse safety rules and COVID-19 mitigation protocol;
- Other food distribution and emergency services as assigned by SJCC and requested by partner organizations.
Leadership & Mentorship
- Manage, supervise, and lead the day-to-day details of project work.
- Implement skills training on worksite and facilitate intentional discussions via informal lessons to contribute to the crew’s personal growth and group dynamics.
- Promote individual corpsmember development and a healthy, supportive community.
- Must be willing to follow and enforce all SJCC policies, maintain professional boundaries, and appropriately represent the San Jose Conservation Corps.
Project Management & Implementation
- Train and motivate a crew of young adults to complete projects safely and efficiently on SJCC campuses and at partner locations.
- Delegate project work to SJCC corpsmembers.
- Manage on-the-ground quality and quantity of project work.
- Think critically to resolve issues and solve problems.
- Communicate effectively & coordinate logistics with project partners, corpsmembers, and SJCC staff.
Safety & Risk Management
- Monitor and support the crew’s physical and emotional safety on and off the work site.
- Exhibit strong situational awareness & promote a culture of safety.
- Transport crew and equipment safely in SJCC vans or large vehicles.
- Follow SJCC COVID-19 Mitigation protocol and ensure corpsmembers do the same.
- Complete attendance tracking, daily and weekly reports, corpsmember evaluations, disciplinary action forms, incident reports, etc., and submit in a timely and highly detailed manner.
- Track all project related outcomes and deliverables, such as collection weights and quantities.
- Use Corps iQ to track team progress and key project data.
- Passion for emergency management, community service, food distribution, or related activities.
- Ability to safely lift 50 pounds, stand for long periods of time, and work in adverse conditions.
- Interest in leading and working with youth or young adults.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- High School diploma or GED certificate.
- California Class C driver's license and clean driving record (insurable by SJCC).
- Willingness to deploy on emergency response work as requested.
- Satisfactory completion of SJCC background check and drug screen process.
- College degree in a related field.
- Background with experiential and/ or environmental education.
- Facilitation and team-building experience with diverse groups of people.
- Strong conflict resolution skills.
SJCC Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
The San Jose Conservation Corps + Charter School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. The Corps and School does not discriminate based on an individual's race, sex, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, hair style, hair texture or any other basis prohibited by law.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The San Jose Conservation Corps + Charter School is an “At-Will” employer. We conduct pre-employment background checks and drug screens.
Human Resources Manager
San Jose Conservation Corps + Charter School
1534 Berger Drive
San Jose, CA 95112
Direct line: 408-459-6514
About the San Jose Conservation Corps:
SJCC offers paid job training for young adults between the ages of 18 and 27. Corpsmembers serve our local community by caring for our natural resources, increasing recycling, and responding to local emergencies. For more information about the Corps, visit www.sjcccs.org.