Recycling Operations Supervisor (Temporary)
SAN JOSE CONSERVATION CORPS + CHARTER SCHOOL
Seasonal Recycling Operations Supervisor
Position Description :
Title: Recycling Operations Supervisor (Temporary)
Date: June - September 2020
Reports to: Recycling Operations Manager
Starting Salary: $25.00 per hour
Location: 1560 Berger Drive, San Jose, CA 95112
Schedule: Seasonal; Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM with occasional weekend work.
The Seasonal Recycling Operation Supervisor will lead teams of Corpsmembers in the execution of Zero Waste & Recycling Department activities, including electronic waste collection and management, beverage container collection and client engagement, dock walker outreach around used oil, cleanup of illegally dumped tires, and other operations as needed.
Please note that this is a seasonal, temporary position. As of the time of this posting, the San Jose Conservation Corps is seeking seasonal staff to serve in this position throughout the summer. If SJCC's emergency service contract work is extended beyond that date, SJCC may extend the Seasonal Recycling Operations Supervisor's tenure.
Zero Waste & Recycling
Lead corpsmembers in the execution of recycling operations, potentially including:
- Collection and sorting of E-waste;
- Removal of illegally dumped tires from public open spaces and parks;
- Outreach regarding the proper management of used oil and participation in California's dock walker initiative;
- Collection of beverage container materials for recycling;
- Engagement of school staff and students at campuses served by SJCC;
- Food waste collection and composting;
- And other recycling operations as assigned.
Leadership & Mentorship
- Manage, supervise, and lead the day-to-day details of project work.
- Implement skills training on worksite and facilitate intentional discussions via informal lessons to contribute to the crew’s personal growth and group dynamics.
- Promote individual corpsmember development and a healthy, supportive community.
- Must be willing to follow and enforce all SJCC policies, maintain professional boundaries, and appropriately represent the San Jose Conservation Corps.
Project Management & Implementation
- Train and motivate a crew of young adults to complete recycling projects safely and efficiently on SJCC campuses and at partner locations.
- Delegate project work to SJCC corpsmembers.
- Manage on-the-ground quality and quantity of project work.
- Think critically to resolve issues and solve problems.
- Communicate effectively & coordinate logistics with project partners, corpsmembers, and SJCC staff.
Safety & Risk Management
- Monitor and support the crew's physical and emotional safety during work hours, while implementing any work project.
- Exhibit strong situational awareness & promote a culture of safety.
- Transport crew and equipment safely in SJCC vans or large vehicles.
- Follow SJCC COVID-19 Mitigation protocol and ensure corpsmembers do the same.
- Complete attendance tracking, daily and weekly reports, corpsmember evaluations, disciplinary action forms, incident reports, etc., and submit in a timely and highly detailed manner.
- Track all project related outcomes and deliverables, such as collection weights and quantities.
- Use Recycle iQ and Corps iQ to track team progress and key project data.
- Passion for recycling, zero waste, climate change mitigation, sustainable development, or the environment.
- Interest in leading and working with youth or young adults.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to safely lift 50 pounds, stand for long periods of time, and work in adverse conditions.
- High School diploma or GED certificate.
- California Class C driver's license and clean driving record (insurable by SJCC).
- Willingness to deploy on emergency response work as requested.
- Satisfactory completion of SJCC background check and drug screen process.
- College degree in a related field.
- Background with experiential and/ or environmental education.
- Facilitation and team-building experience with diverse groups of people.
- Strong conflict resolution skills.
- Class A or B driver's license.
SJCC Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
The San Jose Conservation Corps + Charter School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. The Corps and School does not discriminate based on an individual's race, sex, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, hair style, hair texture or any other basis prohibited by law.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The San Jose Conservation Corps + Charter School is an “At-Will” employer. We conduct pre-employment background checks and drug screens.
Human Resources Manager
San Jose Conservation Corps + Charter School
1534 Berger Drive
San Jose, CA 95112
Direct line: 408-459-6514
About the San Jose Conservation Corps:
SJCC offers paid job training for young adults between the ages of 18 and 27. Corpsmembers serve our local community by caring for our natural resources, increasing recycling, and responding to local emergencies. For more information about the Corps, visit www.sjcccs.org.