Competitive Intelligence Manager
Silver Peak continues to hire with all interviewing and onboarding handled virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone at Silver Peak is currently working from home and so will you until it is safe to return to our offices.
We are looking for a senior manager of competitive intelligence who will play a vital role in enabling sales and technical teams to win against key competitors in the SD-WAN market. In this hands-on role, you will research and develop rich, detailed knowledge of key competitors’ strategies, positioning and products and present this information back to the Silver Peak sales and SE teams as well as partners in a format, frequency and level of depth that will enable them to proactively, and where necessary, reactively, counter competitors’ claims. The ultimate goal is to enable direct and indirect sales teams to clearly position Silver Peak to win. This is an individual contributor role that reports to the VP of Product and Technical Marketing and will work closely with our Sales organization and Silver Peak partners.
What you will do:
With an initial focus on several key global competitors, the competitive intelligence leader will develop a deep understanding of the competition’s:
- Corporate and product messaging, positioning and strategy
- Technical capabilities – key features, functionality, scalability, integration with 3rd party solutions, etc.
- Major announcements – and what they mean from a competitive perspective
- Pricing and discounting – for end customers, channel partners and SPs/SIs
- Organization structure, key executive appointments, changes, etc.
- Go-to-market strategies, investments, activities, focus, etc.
This information will be gathered through multiple sources, including:
- Feedback from Silver Peak sales and SE teams
- Feedback from Silver Peak partners
- Silver Peak customer and partner events
- Relevant industry events
- Published industry news and material (press releases, analyst reports, independent third-party test reports, webcasts, podcasts, blogs, social media)
- Competitors’ published content (product specification, deployment guides, Web pages, white papers, marketing material, etc.)
- Attendance at competitors’ conferences, trade shows, presentations, webinars, etc.
The competitive intelligence leader will review and analyze competitive information, then create material to be delivered through various vehicles such as:
- Monthly written competitive bulletins (general round up of all relevant competitive news)
- Monthly webinars (focus on one major competitor, deeper dive on technology, products, new releases
- Pre-recorded, internal podcasts
- Weekly competitive “clinic” (max. 60 minutes) for sales teams to bring forward and request assistance on how best to combat competitive threats and FUD in a specific account
- Real-time emails (within 24-48 hours of major news)/lunch and learns as needed for significant, timely changes
- Presentations/updates at sales new hire, QBRs, SLTs, SKO, Partner Summits, etc.
What it takes:
- Minimum 10 years in a similar position (e.g. competitive analyst, technical marketing engineer, technical sales engineer, technical product manager) in the networking and/or security industry
- Proven ability to create and deliver engaging and effective technical and non-technical presentations to internal and external audiences
- Highly experienced in digesting technical content, analyzing it and determining key value propositions and challenges and compare and contrast to Silver Peak SD-WAN offerings
- Outstanding written and verbal presentation skills
- Proven ability to work across multiple organizations
- Bachelor’s degree in related field. MBA or advanced degree a plus