CAD Engineer Intern - Summer 2020
About Silicon Labs:
We are Silicon Labs. We are the leading provider of silicon, software and solutions for a smarter, more connected world.
We hire the most innovative talent in the world to solve the industry’s toughest problems, providing our customers with significant advantages in performance, energy savings, connectivity and design simplicity. Silicon Labs’ software and mixed signal engineering teams create solutions for customers in diverse markets including the Internet of Things, (IoT), internet infrastructure, TV tuners, as well as automotive and consumer radios. Our solutions are in products from the market leaders in home automation, electric vehicles, green technology, smart TVs and home voice control automation. We take pride in our products and in our people, and that’s one of the many reasons we continue to be awarded Most Respected Public Semiconductor Company by the Global Semiconductor Alliance.
Our CAD Engineers, solve real-world problems within a small, collaborative team of the industry’s most innovative talent. As a Silicon Labs Intern, you will perform critical tasks in supporting digital implementation methodology and providing corporate place and route engineering services for multiple design teams. In this position you will quickly become acquainted with the RTL2GDS flows and provide solutions to improve, enhance, and optimize them. You will work with multiple teams – design, foundry and EDA vendors – to identify creative solutions to complex problems. This is a great opportunity to help make our design teams successful in their design process, and drive the physical designs yourself.
Excited? See what it’s like to be a part of the Silicon Labs Team
What You’ll Do
Our intern projects are designed to help you to grow your skill set while making meaningful contributions to our business. Here are just a few of the challenges you might get to tackle:
- Drive consensus across design and technology organizations to standardize digital implementation methodology and tools.
- Interface with EDA tool vendors to provide user support and drive tools improvement and bug fixes.
- Develop, qualify, and support standard digital implementation methodology and flows, including logic synthesis, formal verification, place and route, static timing analysis/sign-off, gate power analysis/sign-off, rail analysis/sign-off. Train designers on these flows.
- Provide corporate place and route engineering services for block macros and full chip integration to business units.
Who You Are
You are an innovator, builder, and tinkerer. You have a curious mind and a drive to succeed. You want to work with a global team of technology enthusiasts and design pioneers. Here’s what you need:
- Completion of 2+ years of study
- Enrollment in MS/PhD Computer or Electrical Engineering degree plan
- Understanding of VLSI design fundamentals, including transistor theory and CMOS fabrication processes.
- Advanced knowledge of digital design and test engineering fundamentals.
- Understanding of ASIC and System-on-Chip methodology, tools, and flows.
- Experience or knowledge in physical design, including floorplanning, power grid routing and analysis, clock tree synthesis, placement and routing, timing and power optimizations, design for yield optimization, parasitic extraction, timing analysis, power and rail analysis, signal integrity analysis, formal and physical verification.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (Shell, Perl/Python, Tcl).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
What’s in a World-Class Internship?
Apply what you’ve learned in school to build technology that solves some of the planet’s most significant challenges. You will join a community of fellow interns and alumni who engage and empower your excellence. Take it from our previous interns:
“I had access to the experts in so many fields! they were more than happy to help me out when I had queries. It was a great opportunity for me to learn from them.”– 2019 CAD Engineer Intern
"The innovative projects which are actually useful to the company, the amazing people, the fun-filled activities and my wonderful team all made sure that this has been one of the best summers of my life." - 2018 CAD Intern
Curious for more feedback? Check out our Glassdoor (bit.ly/SilabsGlassdoor)
bit.ly/SilabsUR --> Discover why we attract the best and brightest!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.