Software Engineer Intern - Summer 2020
About Silicon Labs:
We are Silicon Labs. We are the leading provider of silicon, software and solutions for a smarter, more connected world.
We hire the most innovative talent in the world to solve the industry’s toughest problems, providing our customers with significant advantages in performance, energy savings, connectivity and design simplicity. Silicon Labs’ software and mixed signal engineering teams create solutions for customers in diverse markets including the Internet of Things, (IoT), internet infrastructure, TV tuners, as well as automotive and consumer radios. Our solutions are in products from the market leaders in home automation, electric vehicles, green technology, smart TVs and home voice control automation. We take pride in our products and in our people, and that’s one of the many reasons we continue to be awarded Most Respected Public Semiconductor Company by the Global Semiconductor Alliance.
Our Software Engineers, solve real-world problems within a small, collaborative team of the industry’s most innovative talent. As a Silicon Labs Intern, you will help develop the industry’s leading products in IoT and Infrastructure and Automotive (I&A) all while being mentored and closely guided by the best engineers who have a vested interest in your success. And don’t worry, you’ll still have plenty of opportunities to learn, network, and develop new skills through our social events, development lectures, and volunteer opportunities.
Excited? See what it’s like to be a part of the Silicon Labs Team
What You’ll Do
Projects are specifically tailored to each intern, ensuring a meaningful contribution to both your skillset and Silicon Labs. Here are just a few of the challenges you might get to tackle:
- Work towards GUI development and cloud connectivity for innovative home automation products based around Silicon Labs wireless networking ICs.
- Design, program and debug PC & embedded software applications to assist in the automated verification and validation of IOT IC products and writing debugging test scripts to help our Thread SQA team by automating Thread Test harnesses.
- Write firmware for products that support multiple digital radio broadcasting standards, for various geographic regions, such as DAB/DAB+ (Europe, Australia), DMB (S. Korea), HD-Radio (US), DRM (India, Brazil, S. Africa), and CDR (China).
- Develop, test, and maintain HAL and low-level software platform as a member of the Wireless MCU HAL team.
Who You Are
You are an innovator, builder, and tinkerer. You have a curious mind and a drive to succeed. You want to work with a global team of technology enthusiasts and design pioneers. Here’s what you need:
- Completion of 2+ years of study
- Enrollment in BS/MS/PhD Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- Coursework in embedded programming (C), scripting, or MCUs as well as exposure to web development languages and tools
- You have some combination of the following skills:
- Exposure to development tools for embedded systems such as analyzers, oscilloscopes, traffic generators, JTAG, etc. is a plus.
- Experience with assembly language of at least one microcontroller such as the ARM, AVR, MSP430 or 8051
- Experience using both simulations and hardware testing a plus
- Familiarity of Python, User Interface (UI)/User Experience (UX) design, Object Orientated design, TCP/IP Networking, Bluetooth, Zigbee, or Z-wave
What’s in a World-Class Internship?
Apply what you’ve learned in school to build technology that solves some of the planet’s most significant challenges. You will join a community of fellow interns and alumni who engage and empower your excellence. Take it from our previous interns:
“Everyone in that I met was incredibly welcoming. The team I worked on was especially welcoming and helped me with all the questions I had. They were always more than willing to help. I really enjoyed working with each of them.”– 2019 Software Engineer Intern
"I enjoyed the work I did and feel like I was able to learn a lot. But, one of the things I enjoyed the most about working at Silicon Labs was the atmosphere. It was an incredibly enjoyable work atmosphere to be a part of and that can be really hard to find. The interns here were treated so well, and really like we were part of the team." – 2019 Software Engineer Intern
Curious for more feedback? Check out our Glassdoor (bit.ly/SilabsGlassdoor)
bit.ly/SilabsUR -> Discover why we attract the best and brightest!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.