Applications Engineer Intern - Summer 2020
More About Silicon Labs:
We are Silicon Labs. We are the leading provider of silicon, software and solutions for a smarter, more connected world.
We hire the most innovative talent in the world to solve the industry’s toughest problems, providing our customers with significant advantages in performance, energy savings, connectivity and design simplicity. Silicon Labs’ software and mixed signal engineering teams create solutions for customers in diverse markets including the Internet of Things, (IoT), internet infrastructure, TV tuners, as well as automotive and consumer radios. Our solutions are in products from the market leaders in home automation, electric vehicles, green technology, smart TVs and home voice control automation. We take pride in our products and in our people, and that’s one of the many reasons we continue to be awarded Most Respected Public Semiconductor Company by the Global Semiconductor Alliance.
Our Applications Engineers solve real-world problems within a small, collaborative team of the industry’s most innovative talent. As a Silicon Labs Intern, you will help develop the industry’s leading products in IoT and Infrastructure and Automotive (I&A) all while being mentored and closely guided by the best engineers who have a vested interest in your success. And don’t worry, you’ll still have plenty of opportunities to learn, network, and develop new skills through our social events, development lectures, and volunteer opportunities.
Excited? See what it’s like to be a part of the Silicon Labs Team
What You’ll Do
Our intern projects are designed to help you to grow your skill set while making meaningful contributions to our business. Here are just a few of the challenges you might get to tackle:
- Work directly with IoT engineers writing Python scripts to ascertain package and pinout information used for generating PCB landing patterns, schematic symbols and CAD drawings.
- Provide technical and engineering software and hardware support for the MCU team, including writing MCU code and building a GUI to test our audio SPI board so it can take in/play out digital and analog protocols.
- Does the idea of measuring time in femtoseconds (10^-15 seconds!) intrigue you? How about synchronizing time across a network to better than 100 ns? As a Timing Intern, you could Design a test circuit and oversee the development process from schematic to final assembly or develop software to operate and test circuits in the lab or contribute to evaluation boards, bench measurements, and customer support for Silicon Labs timing products.
- Use Raspberry Pi to control radio tuners and demods using on our next generation of Automotive tuners.
- As a Wireless RF Hardware Application intern, you can develop a prototype wireless application board (including specification, schematic and layout design, testing, tuning) for specific use case for customer reference, or help improve RF test automation infrastructure.
Who You Are
You are an innovator, builder, and tinkerer. You are looking for an opportunity to show-off your breadth of skills from several disciplines. You want to work with a global team of technology enthusiasts and design pioneers. Here’s what you need:
- Completion of 2+ years of study
- Enrollment in BS/MS/PhD Electrical or Computer Engineering degree plan
- You have some combination of the following skills:
- You are interested in PCB design, Phase Locked Loops, RF Signals, and jitter and phase noise measurement.
- Coursework in embedded programming, scripting, analog or digital design, and/or participation in MCU classes or labs
- Strong C programming skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and debug systems, circuits, and devices
What’s in a World-Class Internship?
Apply what you’ve learned in school to build technology that solves some of the planet’s most significant challenges. You will join a community of fellow interns and alumni who engage and empower your excellence. Take it from our previous interns:
“My manager and mentor are very smart and nice. I can come to them whenever I have question. They advised me not only about my work, but also about my life and career. I really learned a lot.” - 2019 Design Engineer Intern
"There wasn't a week where I didn't learn something valuable to my academic/professional career, which I am very thankful..The project topics are very interesting to me. The culture feels very healthy and kind." - 2019 Design Engineer Intern
Curious for more feedback? Check out our Glassdoor (bit.ly/SilabsGlassdoor)
bit.ly/SilabsUR --> Discover why we attract the best and brightest!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.